Rear axle leak

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Rear axle leak

Postby disallow » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Was under the pathy doing the rear brake pads today, and noticed that the diff had some oil on it. Not epic amounts, but enough to make me take a second look.

I drained and filled the diff, though I did not (damn it) measure the amount I got out. I'll probably do another drain and fill in a couple weeks and measure it that time.

Fluid was a little gray, but still quite clear. Didn't see any chunkies come out, so that was good. Also flushed some new fluid through it before plugging the drain. It was clear pretty much right away.

I have noticed a drop in fuel economy. I thought maybe it was due to the LT REV02s I put on (80 lbs per tire assy). Would low diff fluid cause a drop in mileage? Wouldn't it create a huge racket if it was overheating?

Thanks
t

Npath

Re: Rear axle leak

Postby Npath » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:00 am

disallow wrote:Was under the pathy doing the rear brake pads today, and noticed that the diff had some oil on it. Not epic amounts, but enough to make me take a second look.

I drained and filled the diff, though I did not (damn it) measure the amount I got out. I'll probably do another drain and fill in a couple weeks and measure it that time.

Fluid was a little gray, but still quite clear. Didn't see any chunkies come out, so that was good. Also flushed some new fluid through it before plugging the drain. It was clear pretty much right away.

I have noticed a drop in fuel economy. I thought maybe it was due to the LT REV02s I put on (80 lbs per tire assy). Would low diff fluid cause a drop in mileage? Wouldn't it create a huge racket if it was overheating?

Thanks
t
No, low differential fluid shouldn't cause a drop in mileage. I've noticed a drop when fall temperatures came upon us, so that should be normal to see a drop.

It wouldn't make a racket if it were over heating, it'd seize up.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:38 am

disallow wrote:

Thanks
t
between the two, i'd say the tires
did you check the diff fluid level at the filler hole before draining?
curious - where was it leaking from? a seal?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am

eieio wrote:
disallow wrote:

Thanks
t
between the two, i'd say the tires
did you check the diff fluid level at the filler hole before draining?
curious - where was it leaking from? a seal?
Passenger side seal on the diff, at least thats how it looks.

I didn't check the level, just drained. oops

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”