weird vibration

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NYPathfinder

weird vibration

Postby NYPathfinder » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:23 am

I just bought the truck last month with 53k on it. Im getting a vibration in the front end around 40-45mph. I had brought it back to the dealer for the rear brakes making some funny noises and they cut the rotors. At the same time I mentioned the problem and they just happened to cut the front rotors and say that was the cause of the vibration. I haven't called or went back to the dealer yet. Just curios if anyone has any input. I had all rims/tires rebalanced hoping that was the problem.but it still vibrates only when your accelerating. Not slowing down. Im going back next week when I have a day off but would like to say to them well did you check this? Or that?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 am

failing u-joints come to mind, an all-too-common problem

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 am

Ant idea what it costs to replace? Or the difficulty? Either way im still with the warranty period. In NY they have a 60 day lemon law which the dealer should replace it under it I hope

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

My first thought would also be a u-joint, especially when you said it only happens at a certain speed. I blew through u-joints quite often on one of my previous rigs, with the same symptoms. If it really is a u-joint (not something a bit more costly like a drive shaft or yoke), they are very cheap to replace. Any local mechanic can easily do the job.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks. Im gonna set up an appointment with the dealer and see what they say. I have no problem doing the work. Just was curious as to what I was getting into.

JediNachos

Postby JediNachos » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:51 pm

My vibration was the u-joint. It was around $250. Replaced by the dealer.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:28 pm

JediNachos wrote:My vibration was the u-joint. It was around $250. Replaced by the dealer.
ouch. 15$ part & an hours worth of work. that's rough. couldn't imagine paying that. oh well, you got it fixed though, and that's what really matters. thanks for posting back!

btw, was it the front of rear u-joint (if they even told you) ?

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:27 pm

webmastir wrote:
JediNachos wrote:My vibration was the u-joint. It was around $250. Replaced by the dealer.
ouch. 15$ part & an hours worth of work. that's rough. couldn't imagine paying that. oh well, you got it fixed though, and that's what really matters. thanks for posting back!

btw, was it the front of rear u-joint (if they even told you) ?
That wasn't me. My truck is going to the dealer in the morning to see what the problem is.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

:oops: oops...heh. well let us know what they say in your case
will prob be u-joint related it sounds. my wifes is shot too. i gotta get under there to pull the driveshaft so i can bring it to my father in-laws, who has proper tools to remove/replace the u-joint. from what i've read, the hardest most pain in the ass part is unscrewing the bolts to get the driveshaft out

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 am

webmastir wrote::oops: oops...heh. well let us know what they say in your case
will prob be u-joint related it sounds. my wifes is shot too. i gotta get under there to pull the driveshaft so i can bring it to my father in-laws, who has proper tools to remove/replace the u-joint. from what i've read, the hardest most pain in the ass part is unscrewing the bolts to get the driveshaft out
well nissan just called and told me theres nothing wrong. They are feeling no vibrations. weird. One thing i just realized after thinking about it is the vibration is minimial with just me in the truck. but when i was towing a 6x12 trailer with 2 friends in the truck the vibration became a lot more noticable when at the 40-50 mph.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:44 am

NYPathfinder wrote:well nissan just called and told me theres nothing wrong. They are feeling no vibrations. weird. One thing i just realized after thinking about it is the vibration is minimial with just me in the truck. but when i was towing a 6x12 trailer with 2 friends in the truck the vibration became a lot more noticable when at the 40-50 mph.
recommendation: be sure to get a repair order receipt documenting your concerns and their findings, just in case they overlooked something that becomes a problem after your warranty expires :wink:

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 am

eieio wrote:
NYPathfinder wrote:well nissan just called and told me theres nothing wrong. They are feeling no vibrations. weird. One thing i just realized after thinking about it is the vibration is minimial with just me in the truck. but when i was towing a 6x12 trailer with 2 friends in the truck the vibration became a lot more noticable when at the 40-50 mph.
recommendation: be sure to get a repair order receipt documenting your concerns and their findings, just in case they overlooked something that becomes a problem after your warranty expires :wink:
I have the repair order showing what I brought it in for.ill make sure to get a receipt of there" findings". Thanks

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:36 pm

does anyone know the part number for the u joints? Im thinking of just going and replacing it on my own.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”