Battery...corroded battery cable/harness...alternator??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

Battery...corroded battery cable/harness...alternator??

Postby Cracker » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:38 am

Sometimes when I go to start the '05 PF it just clickity clicks. The dealership said I have a corroded battery cable harness ($80 replacement). I put some battery terminal cleaner on the terminials but that doesn't help. If someone gives me a battery jump it will start. Also, my battery life seems low. If I leave the lights on or the radio on I'll have problems. Seems to be it would be the battery that's the problem not the cable. Any ideas?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Can you test your battery with a volt meter? Also testing while the truck is running to see what the alternator is putting out would be good too...

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Sounds like a typical battery under-charged/ing issue but you never can tell. I know first hand that our vehicles suck a lot of juice. I left the headlights and fogs on for less than 2 hrs once and my battery was dead enough to not lock the doors or turn on the interior lights. Have you discharged the power in this current battery to basically empty a few times? Have you added any aftermarket components like amps, stereo's, gps, toaster ovens, alarms, anything? Do you experience this problem after the vehicle has sat for minutes, hours, days?

By your description it sounds like it and its probably as simple as a battery with some shorted cells or deposit build up. Can you inspect the water level in it?

There are several things to test but answering those questions could easily point out some culprits. Easiest thing to do is to go out for a drive, say 10 minutes or more then after you stop let the vehicle sit for another 10 minutes to let the voltage levels settle in the battery. Then use a multi-meter, with the vehicle not running see what you get right at the battery. With nothing running you should have 12.5 or better volts. If you have less try removing both the Pos and Neg wires and then measure, if still less than 12.5 you have a problem and need to investigate further. And when I say less I mean like 12.1 and less. A fully charged battery should have around 12.6 volts at the terminals.

If you report your findings there are other free tests you can do that we can type out for you.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:25 pm

You can take your battery to most auto parts stores and they'll be able to test it under load, that's really the only way to tell if your battery is ok. Rather than battery terminal cleaner, take the terminals off and use sandpaper to make sure all of the contact surfaces are bright.

If your battery checks out and your connections are clean it'll be time to start looking elsewhere, possibly starter relays and such.

I assume you're out of warranty? Us with '05s are all starting to get to that point...

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:48 am

anyone mess with the connection on the posts? it's almost like the Post is just a little to small for the connector. I can pull off the ground with very little effort and I have the nut tightened down to it's limit. Going to be adding on new Monster Cable connectors when my Sub gets back from Alpine. Just looking if anyone has experienced the same thing?

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Just replaced my original battery after only 18 months

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:53 am

Fofiddy wrote:anyone mess with the connection on the posts? it's almost like the Post is just a little to small for the connector. I can pull off the ground with very little effort and I have the nut tightened down to it's limit. Going to be adding on new Monster Cable connectors when my Sub gets back from Alpine. Just looking if anyone has experienced the same thing?
The negative clamp on this truck looks light as well, did you change that out yet Fofiddy and did you also change the positive clamp.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:59 am

The negative clamp on this truck looks light as well, did you change that out yet Fofiddy and did you also change the positive clamp.
The neg terminal was smaller or even possibly tapered by my over torquing the clamp. I have since replaced the battery With an Optima Redtop and posted pics in this thread that you created in January:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=562

OEM battery's are the equivilent or OEM Tires get an AGM like the Redtop at your soonest convenience. I'm more than pleased with mine.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”