Fire Extinguisher?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Fire Extinguisher?

Postby Budrbean » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:22 am

So being employed in public safety, it hit me the other day how many lives have been lost or affected by a vehicle that wrecks and catches fire. I finally went and bought a fire extinguisher tonight that I plan to mount in the cargo area of my Pathfinder. Just curious how many people do this? I just want to be prepared in case I ever pull up on a fire engulfed car...Id feel terrible if all I could do was stand and watch til responders arrive.

Are you prepared?

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:54 am

Funny you should ask...

While I have never been in need of one, just yesterday I grabbed a medium sized one at Menards and mounted it in that recess at the back of the cargo area.

It is a nice fit, look OEM and it feels good knowing it is there.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 am

im always worried it'll explode or leak somehow.

i thrash the pathfinder extremely when offroading, and would not like at all a snow storm in the car after a rough landing.

how durable are they ?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 am

It's a good idea to carry one for sure. They can be useful catching a fire before it gets out of hand. It would be a futile attempt on a fully engulfed vehicle....but trapped occupants in a major fire is a pretty rare event.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Fire Extinguisher?

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 am

Budrbean wrote:Just curious how many people do this? I just want to be prepared in case I ever pull up on a fire engulfed car...Id feel terrible if all I could do was stand and watch til responders arrive.
I have a small one that I keep in the car. If a car is engulfed, a fire extinguisher will not work. I've personally seen one car explode from minimal amounts of flame & many that started as a small bit of flame, only to engulf the entire car within 30 seconds. I won't hesitate to pull someone to safety, but I'm not about to battle a blaze with the equivalent of a squirt gun, risking injury. I mainly have mine so that I can try and put out any flames in my vehicle the second I see them.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 am

mar1 wrote:im always worried it'll explode or leak somehow.

i thrash the pathfinder extremely when offroading, and would not like at all a snow storm in the car after a rough landing.

how durable are they ?
No need to be worried at all.

At least 1kg fire extinguisher is required by law, here in Estonia.

Anyway, better to have a bigger one (6kg for example). Most of people doesn't know how to use those when they are in panic.

I also recomend to have sharp knife in med pack. Its useful to cut someone free from seatbelts after hard crash. Obviously you won't be able to cut your own seatbelts but you might when you are first one who can provide help.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 am

got the knife, got a couple medipacks, got tools; the only thing missing in my car is a spare engine..

oh yeah, and an extinguisher.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 pm

I have a 5lb ABC extinguisher that I put in the little netted cubby in the left rear of the cargo compartment. It is further held in by the storage box I keep along the left side of the cargo area.

At one point, I had two 1 to 2lb extinguishers in the storage box but one was removed when moving into a new house. The remaining extinguisher was used on a car fire about a month ago. After this episode, I decided the extinguisher was too difficult to get to when you need to get to a fire extinguisher.

Coincidentally, about a week later, my stepson help pull a drunk driver from her car that slammed into a tree and caught fire near our house. He said the woman was fairly pinned and the fire was in the dash by the time they freed her.

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:43 pm

I just got my truck a month ago so still loading her out.
I got a 5 lb extinguisher.
Looking around for a car kit. (cables, first aid, etc, etc.) If I don't find one I'll throw one together.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:49 pm

I know it obviously wont work to put the fire out on a fully engulfed car. Im just saying it beats nothing. When seconds count, you may be able to hold the fire off someone til they can get free. Regardless it beats having nothing and being unprepared. I would hope if Im ever in the situation, someone would at least try to help me.

Gonna try and get my extinguisher mounted tomorrow

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

I intstalled one back in early May of this year after we saw a very nice S-10 Blazer burn to the ground trying to winch someone out of the mud. It fits well in the netted cubby in the back.

I think I posted this video a while back, but here it is again if you missed it. It is about 10 minutes long and the truck fire is about half way through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ3FYhA1Mt4

Here are some pics of the aftermath. It was painful to watch it burn. That guy had some money into it.
Sorry about the crappy quality, I did not have my camera with me and we had to use a cell phone.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Got bored and mounted it tonight. $17.99 A-B-C Extinguisher from Walmart. I just used zip ties to mount it thru the louvers in the plastic wall. This way no drilling and if I ever trade vehicles I can just cut the ties and take it right out. Its solid enough to hold it still and keep it all from rattling. Couldnt get the strap that goes around the extinguisher to work though....so zip ties to the rescue again. If ever needed, one good yank will have it out.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”