Headlights/foglights lamp replacements

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:39 pm

I wonder if it's possible to hook up air craft landing lights.

Anyone know what kind of voltage air planes use?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:40 pm

So, these projectors from carid come with bulbs? Or not? I'm not seeing any mention of what bulbs are required and/or used for the high and low beams. A few of the sites that offer products say that everything is simply plug & play. But, we have one bulb for high and low beams & all the projector assemblies have them as 2 different lights, so obviously another bulb is required. It's kind of annoying browsing through these sites because everything is so vague, at least for people like me who never browse these sites & don't really know what I'm looking at.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm

^they do not come with bulbs. You have to purchase the HID kit seperately. Those were the exact light I was talking about. They don't even list the type of projector used..

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:54 pm

What about the digital HID kit here? It's about 1/2 way down the page. They have a bixenon kit, in both 35 and 55 watts.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 pm

The projectors from CARID came with H1 and H3 bulbs already installed. H1 was the high beam and H3 was the low. Honestly they look to be as good or better quality than the OEM lamps. Replacing those bulbs would be a PITA though. I had a bit of trouble getting to them uninstalled...so I can imagine it would be tough when they're mounted and I'm reaching behind.

The HID kit is an upgrade if you want and it's discounted if you buy it with the projectors. I did not buy the HID kit because I wanted to try it with just the halogens. I've seen too many problems with aftermarket HID that I would assume not use it unless it's necessary.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Okay, so:

1. If I go for replacement projectors, such as those from carid, would one think that the light output would be better using the 2 bulbs as opposed to the stock housing & 1 9007?

2. Along those same lines, if I had replacement projectors in place and wanted to throw in a couple of HIDs, would they work better in the new projector housing as opposed to the OEM housing?

I'm getting more and more tempted to just try my luck with the projectors.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:52 am

As I mentioned, with the stock cut-off so low and also limiting the high beams I don't see how the projectors won't be better. My plan was to start with projectors and the standard bulbs and see what happens. If that's still not enough light...then try the HID in the projectors. I'm using HID as a last resort.

At this point it looks like no projectors are available unless I get something custom. I'm also considering a push bar with some powerful driving lights installed to switch on with my high beams. I may go for some HID's on the fog lights.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm

skinny2 wrote:As I mentioned, with the stock cut-off so low and also limiting the high beams I don't see how the projectors won't be better. My plan was to start with projectors and the standard bulbs and see what happens. If that's still not enough light...then try the HID in the projectors. I'm using HID as a last resort.

I think I'll jump on it. There are a few more designs out there from other mfrs, but they are all too blingy for me. I'm not going with the HID though, especially since a few of the off-site reviews of that particular kit have not been good. I'm hoping just the halogen will be a big improvement, otherwise there are many other HID vendors out there.

I was going to get a light bar, but now I'm wondering if this will do the trick: http://www.anzousa.com/support/pages/un ... 1003s.html

That longer one on the bottom will fit in the small opening above the license plate. I just haven't been able to find any reviews whatsoever.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm SOL. Nobody makes a projector for the '08+. CarID is sending a shipping label to send them back. They checked with manufacturer and there's a slight difference on '08+ models and nothing else available. Not sure what to do at this point. I'm not crazy about letting someone mod my lamps. May have to add additional lights and wire them to come on with high beams.

pathology

Postby pathology » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 pm

I just replaced my bulbs with the "Sylvania 9007 XV BP TWIN XtraVision Halogen Headlight - Pack of 2" from Amazon. Cost me under $20, and it's a big improvement. Wonder if bulb switching works better in the 08+?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I've been doing a little research and talking with some lighting experts. One is saying he's looked at a lot of aftermarket projectors and none have the optics to really make a good light. I'm not saying I wouldn't try it given my dissatisfaction with the stock lights...but I'm more skeptical.

The one tidbit I found interesting was that both I've spoken to recommended Philips X-treme Power bulbs. I can't find them anywhere local...I may try the Xtravision mentioned below. At least they're available locally.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

skinny2 wrote: The one tidbit I found interesting was that both I've spoken to recommended Philips X-treme Power bulbs. I can't find them anywhere local...I may try the Xtravision mentioned below. At least they're available locally.
I've been running the Xtreme for over a year now. As I said earlier, certainly the best of the bunch that I've tried, but they absolutely suck compared to any other car that is nearby. I've had my fill of trying different bulbs, because none of them produce the needed light. Because of this, that's why I'm thinking that even crappy projectors can't be any worse than what we have now.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Well tonight I really monkeyed around with the aim adjusters and I also picked up a set of Xtravisions. What I found was really cranking up the lights has about the best results. Parked about 15' from a wall, the adjustment raised the center of the beam about a foot. I then drove 30 miles and had no flashing from on-coming vehicles. I also stood back and tried to see at what point they would blind an oncoming car and it was still well below what someone in a car should be sitting. I was somewhat pleased with the lights at this level. They're still not on-par with the projector types in my other vehicles but it's a big improvement.

I then installed the Xtravisions and the lighting on low-beam was better but the high-beam was very scattered. Almost seemed worse than low-beam as the light was going very high into the trees, sort of dim in the distance, and dark in the foreground. I then lowered the headlights back down and couldn't tell much of a difference.

I think I'm going to run with the stock bulbs and the aim raised significantly for awhile and see what happens. They're tolerable and I might just add a light bar for those lonely dark roads.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:56 pm

The projectors on carid look virtually identical to some of them on Ebay:

The ebay lights are about $100 less, although they most likely don't include bulbs. The only difference I can see, though it may be a fault of the photos, is that the low beam cutoff is visible on the carid lense & not on the ebay one. Still, it makes me wonder if there are only a couple of headlights to choose from, at best. The reviews on carid seem good, but who knows if they really publish all reviews, such as the negative ones. I'll probably click the buy button sometime next week, via carid.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:26 am

skinny2 wrote:Also here's a pic of the back of the projector I bought showing the connections. I think this would have worked out great if it would have fit. Courtesy parts shows different part numbers for the headlamp assemblies between 2005-2007 and 2008 and up. Very small differences but if it doesn't fit....

Mine arrived yesterday. Talk about sloooow. I haven't looked at the carID site yet, but I really need to get a true wiring schematic for these. They seem to be very well made, with a nice heft to them. I was expecting far worse. I think I'll splice the CCFLs into the running lights.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”