Snow snow snow

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jasunderland

Snow snow snow

Postby jasunderland » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:37 am

Well we got a good bit of snow for this time of year in North East Indiana. My wife and I took the Pathy to go meet my parents for dinner yesterday and this is the first time I have got to drive it in the snow.

I was very impressed! I had it in Auto and with the VCD and Antilock brakes, I had no problems. I took it down a road that is closed in the winter in 4 High and it didnt have any problems at all...

It seems like a tank and I am very happy with it!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:46 am

I too was very impressed last year even with the stock General tires. They did pretty good in the snow (not good on ice....) and unless there was a steep hill or very deep snow I could run in 2wd. Haven't had more than a few inches yet this year so really can't comment on how much better (hopefully) the Michelins are.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 am

skinny2 wrote:I too was very impressed last year even with the stock General tires. They did pretty good in the snow (not good on ice....) and unless there was a steep hill or very deep snow I could run in 2wd. Haven't had more than a few inches yet this year so really can't comment on how much better (hopefully) the Michelins are.
Which Michelins did you go with?

So far on the Pathfinder I've driven in snow with the stock Generals, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, and just this morning for the first time Michelin LTX AT2.

Both the Pirellis and Michelins were MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Generals. In a straight line, it seemed like the Pirellis and Michelins were about the same, but the turning grip with the Michelins is a whole lot better. Driving in the fresh snow this morning was pretty much a non-event, as these tires had truly amazing grip.

thehumphries

Postby thehumphries » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 am

This weekend was my first real snow test for our new Pathy. I couldn't be happier. I would like to upgrade the General tires, but for this winter they will do well enough.

She is a dirty nasty beast in the snow and I love it. I don't even want to wash her right now cause she looks to beautifully nasty.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 am

I have BFG Long Trail AT's that came on it when I bought it. They seem to do pretty well... They should last this winter, but I will need new ones next year.

A lady that works for me just put on Firestone Destination A/T's and she had some good luck with them this weekend with snow.

They look mean too.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:34 am

thehumphries wrote:This weekend was my first real snow test for our new Pathy. I couldn't be happier. I would like to upgrade the General tires, but for this winter they will do well enough.

She is a dirty nasty beast in the snow and I love it. I don't even want to wash her right now cause she looks to beautifully nasty.
+1 to the dirty beast. My back window seems to cover over with snow, when you go through a lot of deep snow, really quick.

I so just wanted to go off into the field though and see how she did.

LOVE IT!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 am

amr40509 wrote: Which Michelins did you go with?

So far on the Pathfinder I've driven in snow with the stock Generals, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, and just this morning for the first time Michelin LTX AT2.

Both the Pirellis and Michelins were MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Generals. In a straight line, it seemed like the Pirellis and Michelins were about the same, but the turning grip with the Michelins is a whole lot better. Driving in the fresh snow this morning was pretty much a non-event, as these tires had truly amazing grip.
I went with the LTX MS2. No trouble whatsoever so far in the snow. Had an icy intersection to deal with this morning and had stopped without incident but had some drama getting started in 2wd. I'm used to Blizzaks though which are just phenominal on ice.

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:10 pm

I drove my LE during the blizzard in Minneapolis on Saturday back and forth across the city during the worst of the storm. The plows couldn't keep up and the drifting was insane. I saw a lot of 4x4s in the ditch after they got off the beaten path a bit and got pulled in by the deep snow. Some guy in front of me in a Jeep did a 360 just before plunging into the ditch.

Meanwhile, Pathfinder's auto-mode, braking, and stability and traction control made my driving experience absolutely effortless. I never once felt out of control. This truck goes where you point the wheels, period. I could not be happier with my purchase.

bkmtnff

Postby bkmtnff » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:42 pm

jasunderland wrote:I have BFG Long Trail AT's that came on it when I bought it. They seem to do pretty well... They should last this winter, but I will need new ones next year.

A lady that works for me just put on Firestone Destination A/T's and she had some good luck with them this weekend with snow.

They look mean too.
I'm set up with an appointment for 4 Firestone Destinations (although i think Im getting the LE). Had them on my old Explorer, they were fantastic in the snow.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:41 am

bkmtnff wrote: I'm set up with an appointment for 4 Firestone Destinations (although i think Im getting the LE). Had them on my old Explorer, they were fantastic in the snow.
Keep me posted as to how they handle on the Pathy.

The lady that put on the A/T's has a trailer blazer and wanted the A/T's over the LE because they looked more aggressive. I think they were about 7 bucks more a tire after it was all said and done.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 am

Wow, we got about 2" of snow last night then the freezing rain started and turned everything in a 0.5" layer of glare ice. I just drove 10 miles to work due to a few important meetings later today at 5:30am and NO ONE was on the road.

The Pathfinder with Mich. LTX AT2's was amazing. We get ice storms every year here in KY so I've driven around on straight ice a fair amount. WOW! Don't misunderstand me, it was not a 'normal' commute this morning, but given the circumstances, it went VERY well. I didn't realize a non-snow/ice specific tire could feel so solid on this stuff. In my office parking lot I literally couldn't walk (had to shuffle/skate) but the truck was getting around fine without even putting it in 4WD. Again, you could tell it was very slippery, but it was completely manageable.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”