"Clunk" and then limp mode

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I experienced something like what you describe in another manufacturer's vehicle a few years back. It was a transmission shift solenoid. Expensive repair since the part was $300-400 and you had to replace all three since it was not possible to diagnose which of the three it was and a de facto trans flush was required due to needing to drop the pan to fix.

Anyway, after some driving the vehicle went into limp mode and yes, restarting would reset limp mode but driving around like this may cause further damage. Limp mode is your vehicle protecting itself.

Check into replacing the shift solenoids on your automatic transmission. That ought to take care of it.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 pm

I know I'm reviving an old thread. The same thing is happening to me and I posted a thread for it. Were you able to do this yourself? From what I understand the solenoids on this TCM cannot be individually replaced. The problem I'm seeing is apparently you can't buy the TCM your self either. Unless there is something I'm missing. The repair doesn't look difficult to do myself but it seems frustrating finding the part.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 am

You can find the solenoids on the aftermarket with a little online searching. It takes a little digging but they're out there.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:13 am

I took the car to the dealer after the code popped up again. The clunk then then limp mode. The dealer suggests putting in a new transmission. His logic is that there is no way to tell if it's just the valve body solenoid misbehaving like the code suggest or if there is something mechanically wrong with the transmission. I asked with just 92k miles the probability of the transmission being mechanically bad is pretty low. He agreed but said if we change the valve body and the transmission is bad I will have problems and have wasted the money on the valve body. :evil: I will do some digging as smj999smj suggested. It doesn't seem difficult to change the valve body and if I can find solenoids I'm sure that isn't difficult either and would prove worthy of the time to put it in and be cheap enough to justify.

Suggestions welcomed.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Taking the car to a transmission shop. They seemed confident in determining the cause if its the solenoid or some other problem. smj999smj; I've found the solenoid for sale online, you were right just took a little digging!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”