Snow and ice driving, what do you use (tires, chains, etc).

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Spamcan

Snow and ice driving, what do you use (tires, chains, etc).

Postby Spamcan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:13 am

We've recently relocated to the Seattle area (from SoCal) and are working to get accustomed to the changing conditions up here - yet we love it so far! But in the Seattle area, it looks as if we do get some occasional days of snow and/or ice instead of just rain. We both have 4x4's (my Pathy and her Xterra). I'm running 265 Nexan Roadian HT tires, hers are 275 (I think) BFG Rugged Trail T/A's.

During the last snow just before Thanksgiving we seemed to get around OK. A little slipping here and there. But for the most part no issues thanks to 4x4 and all. But with the expected extra weather this winter, we're thinking of getting more "traction". What do you use or suggest? Traction/studded tires? Chains? Cables? And/or different tires? If chains/cables, with running 4x4, do you only use 2 on wheels? Front or rear?

And where do you suggest to get them (Tire Rack, etc)?

We're leaning towards cables, mostly because they seem easier than chains to put on. And since it's probably going to be only a day or 2 here and there, that traction tires seem overkill. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

bdsams

Postby bdsams » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:28 am

If your vehicle got around just fine without the cables, i wouldnt worry to much. I live in cincinnati and we just got two seperate storms of 5+ inches and the stock BF LT worked just fine going up hills in that much snow. Unless your expecting a lot of snow all the time, i wouldnt worry to much.

You will still slip with cables/chains too, jsut not as much, but ive always feared that if you do use chains they would do more damage than good if you did manage to hit asphalt at any point...just my two sense, learn to drive in it first, then decide if you need to extra traction.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:39 am

Definitley good point, thanks! On the storm last month I "played" a bit in a parking lot to get a feel for what could happen, how much acceleration I could give, etc. It was fun too! :lol:

One worry I hear from the news here though is because we're so wet, when a snow storm hits, all the moisture under the snow turns to ice. So you end up with both ice and snow. And of course with all the warnings on the news, and not knowing personally how it is, paranoia kicks in a little... :shock:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 am

Generally chains and cables are good for low speed only. In my area, not required because its so flat here. In Seattle, with the hills, I can understand why someone would want them.

Studded tires work, but are not allowed on all roads, you can get a pretty hefty ticket.

t

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:22 am

The speed issue with chains/cables was a concern we thought of too. They would be good to get out of a jam, but not regular driving.

From what I can tell, studded tires here are used (and allowed) regularly. I've yet to talk to a tire shop about this, and their overall advice though. I'm sure they'd recommend the most profitable solution! :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 am

I've never used chains on any of my 4x4s, though I have been in vehicles with them on. If you have the room in your garage, I'd say get a good set of winter only tires that you can throw on every winter. A better set of all terrains would be another option. Ice is the only part of the equation that really screams for a dedicated winter tire.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgcFiLA0_o

Not sure what snow tires would do in these types of conditions, but cables/chains or studs would definitely provide more traction. I think this is probably what the OP is talking about being able to deal with, not just normal winter traction.

Its a funny video, a combination of people that have no clue how to drive on ice, in conditions that even a seasoned driver would find impossible.

t

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:40 pm

That video is EXACTLY the conditions we had, and that I'm concerned about. It was even filmed up here - King5 is a Seattle news station. I just am having a hard time justifying the cost of getting studded tires for daily driving when they "may" be useful 5 or so times in the season. But then chains/cables you can't go faster - though in those conditions, you shouldn't, right?

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:50 pm

The M+S (mud+snow) marked tires are required by law here In winter.
I use Nokian Hakkapeliita 5 (265/65R17) tires. Those are pretty good on snow and ice.

I recommend to switch the ESP off and 4Hi on when driving in deep snow.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Ok I live in the Seattle area so i guess i can give you some insight.
I've had my pathy since 06 & have run it in some good storms here. So far no chains & no studded tires. I have Yokohama Geolanders & they work fine.
Our problem with snow is that we get the thaw / freeze cycle & then have ice under 1 - 2" of snow. With a slight hill most people panic & can't go any where. I'm not a big fan of studded tires & chains because most people don't know how to use them. If you can't drive in a bit of snow, stay home.
Having said that, my pathy gets around in the snow better than my Jeep Cherokee with front & rear lockers did.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Good to know NVRDONE, thanks. I'll probably just get some chains from Les Schwab for that "just in case" time...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”