radiator/Tranny issues with 06??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

allisojh

radiator/Tranny issues with 06??

Postby allisojh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:52 pm

I see a lot of posts about 05 Pathfinders radiator/tranny issues with leaking coolent into tranny and destroying them causing a 5-6k replacement bill.

Is this just an 05 issue or should i be worried about this with an 06?? Should i be looking into bypassing? I have no problems at this point.

Also... I bought my 06 used with 40k. would the radiator/tranny be covered under the factory Nissan warranty??

I am really dumb with warranty and transferring of them so I am asking.

thanks.

CiK

Postby CiK » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:20 pm

The issue exists in 2006 models too. I did the bypass on my 06 3 months ago when it had about 45K on it. No problems to report here.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:04 am

Do the by-pass. Its good peace-of-mind.

t

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 am

Even though I have the 120000km 6 year warranty on my 07 I did the bypass when I saw all the problems coming up.
I used the same pipe - no additional sections just rerouted it.

If it isn't in the loop it can't harm it.

I spoke to my dealership about the possible cold start issues in Canada and they thought that the transmission was warmed up well before the radiator thermostat allowed hot water to flow from the engine.

I am sure that a Nissan kit was shown on the forum, that just validated my decision to do the modification.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 am

Can someone post the procedure on how to make the bypass?

Can a non-mechanic but pretty handy complete the bypass?

Do I need to purchase anything or just hook the hoses up differently?

Thanks

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:21 pm

allisojh wrote:Can someone post the procedure on how to make the bypass?

Can a non-mechanic but pretty handy complete the bypass?

Do I need to purchase anything or just hook the hoses up differently?

Thanks
see bellwilliams post in the middle of page 8 in this thread:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ans+bypass
easy to do, no additional parts needed :)
i'd recommend reading the entire thread - lots can be learned from it! :wink:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:22 pm

check this thread (its long but has all the pertinent info):

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=bypass

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:02 pm

I live in Pennsylvania. Gets has high as 100 degrees gets as low a 5-6 below or more a few times a year.

I do not tow a trailer, boat, etc.... but... sporadically I may have to tow something a few miles because I am the guy on the circle with a vehicle that can tow.

I believe I have the towing package as it has the trailer receiver.

From what I am reading the tranny has its own cooler BUT it also runs through the bottom of the radiator.

If I take the radiator out of the loop, the tranny fluid is still going to be cooled by its own cooler.

The way I viewed the pics, its real simple. The longest part of the job is removing the spoiler and skid plate to get to the hoses.

Why is the radiator even in the loop if it has its own cooler? I am thinking 2 reasons.

1. Because of the towing package it needs the additional cooling but I can't see how running ATF along the bottom of the radiator cools that much.

2. The radiator actually heats up the ATF in winter mornings but... the thermostat doesn't even open until the radiator fluid already in the engine warms up. The ATF would warm along with the fluid I am assuming so how/why would the ATF need to be warmed up when the thermostat doesn't open until the engine is already warmed up???

So I really don't get need for the radiator part of the loop, can anyone explain the thinking?

Next question.... can anyone that has taken out the radiator part of the loop report? Any problems????

Last question. When I disconnect the line, will tranny fluid run all over the place? I am assuming no as it will all be in the tranny pan. Should I blow out the radiator with an air compressor once its been removed from the loop?

Last, last question. Where can I get the vacuum caps and the hose connector? PepBoys, Autozone? Or do I have to go to Nissan? If I do this I want to do it tomorrow while I am off.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:30 pm

allisojh wrote:I live in Pennsylvania. Gets has high as 100 degrees gets as low a 5-6 below or more a few times a year.

I do not tow a trailer, boat, etc.... but... sporadically I may have to tow something a few miles because I am the guy on the circle with a vehicle that can tow.

I believe I have the towing package as it has the trailer receiver.

From what I am reading the tranny has its own cooler BUT it also runs through the bottom of the radiator.

If I take the radiator out of the loop, the tranny fluid is still going to be cooled by its own cooler.

The way I viewed the pics, its real simple. The longest part of the job is removing the spoiler and skid plate to get to the hoses.

Why is the radiator even in the loop if it has its own cooler? I am thinking 2 reasons.

1. Because of the towing package it needs the additional cooling but I can't see how running ATF along the bottom of the radiator cools that much.

2. The radiator actually heats up the ATF in winter mornings but... the thermostat doesn't even open until the radiator fluid already in the engine warms up. The ATF would warm along with the fluid I am assuming so how/why would the ATF need to be warmed up when the thermostat doesn't open until the engine is already warmed up???

So I really don't get need for the radiator part of the loop, can anyone explain the thinking?

Next question.... can anyone that has taken out the radiator part of the loop report? Any problems????

Last question. When I disconnect the line, will tranny fluid run all over the place? I am assuming no as it will all be in the tranny pan. Should I blow out the radiator with an air compressor once its been removed from the loop?

Last, last question. Where can I get the vacuum caps and the hose connector? PepBoys, Autozone? Or do I have to go to Nissan? If I do this I want to do it tomorrow while I am off.
there is very little fluid loss when disconnecting the lines
you can use a couple of golf tees to temporarily plug them while disconnected
it wouldn't hurt to clean out the radiator trans cooler before capping (Nissan actually markets an aerosol for this purpose)
if you use bellwilliams method of bypass, you won't need caps or a connector
if you want caps, i think NAPA sells them
in retrospect, i wish i had used caps because the use of the hose to cap off the radiator fittings is a PITA because it gets in the way of the oil filter and makes it more difficult to change
i'm going to periodically check for coolant accumulation in the internal trans cooler, and the next time i do, i'll install some caps in place of the hose between the two fittings
there is some evidence that the internal transmission cooler does, indeed, have a cooling effect on the trans fluid
one of the members over at www.thenewx.org did some research:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... ranny+temp

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm

I read the report. I understood none of it!

I am a History teacher, not an engineer.

I am going to complete the bypass tomorrow. headed to Pepboys to see if they have the vacuum caps and the barbed hose connector.

Still looking for people that took the radiator out of the loop and their expereince.

I really want to do this to take have some peace of mind but i also don't want to destroy the tranny in the process.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Mine has been bypassed for about 10,000 miles. I cant say I havent had problems because I have a remanu transmission in now for the past 2,000 miles. Take it from me....make sure your newly routed hoses have no sharp turns or bends. One of mine split and I lost all my fluid on the highway. Had it towed and replaced fluid but it still lost 4th gear 2 days later. After the new trans, I replaced all the hosing just as added insurance.

But with that aside, I see no problems with my bypass. I have a trans temp gauge and in the summer I can see temps as high as 200-215 in stop and go traffic, but 180 on average. Right now it runs about 160...when it gets warmed up

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Budrbean wrote:Mine has been bypassed for about 10,000 miles. I cant say I havent had problems because I have a remanu transmission in now for the past 2,000 miles. Take it from me....make sure your newly routed hoses have no sharp turns or bends. One of mine split and I lost all my fluid on the highway. Had it towed and replaced fluid but it still lost 4th gear 2 days later. After the new trans, I replaced all the hosing just as added insurance.

But with that aside, I see no problems with my bypass. I have a trans temp gauge and in the summer I can see temps as high as 200-215 in stop and go traffic, but 180 on average. Right now it runs about 160...when it gets warmed up
Hey Budr,

How much did the reman tranny cost you? Where'd you get it?

t

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:35 pm

It was proven that the trans was crapped already so the extended warranty covered it (non-nissan, bought from used car dealer). Not sure the actual price or where it came from....had to pay $100 deductible

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Budrbean wrote:It was proven that the trans was crapped already so the extended warranty covered it (non-nissan, bought from used car dealer). Not sure the actual price or where it came from....had to pay $100 deductible
Oh yeah, I remember your post now... Sorry for the duplication.

I just checked EBay for the RE5R05A transmission, and they had a bunch in the 2-3k range. They are listed for other vehicles though, including titans, 350Z, and Armadas. Also some Infinitis.

I'm just assuming that it would be possible to take any hardware required off of the old trans and use it. Anyone know for sure?

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Bud,

"I cant say I havent had problems"

That means you had problems since the bypass?

This bypass is looking not so good by your statement.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”