2WD vs. Auto

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Bandy1080

2WD vs. Auto

Postby Bandy1080 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:08 am

So with all the snow up here in the north east I have been driving around with my 2008 LE set in AUTO rather than the usual 2WD. I have noticed a lot more fuel consumption in the last day or two.

This may be a really stupid question but should there be a difference between the two? And am I correct in always driving around with it in 2WD in regular weather?

Thanks!

disallow
Site Admin

Re: 2WD vs. Auto

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:10 am

Bandy1080 wrote:So with all the snow up here in the north east I have been driving around with my 2008 LE set in AUTO rather than the usual 2WD. I have noticed a lot more fuel consumption in the last day or two.

This may be a really stupid question but should there be a difference between the two? And am I correct in always driving around with it in 2WD in regular weather?

Thanks!
There is a difference. The transfer case is engaged when you have it in AUTO and will kick in 4HI when required. People here have reported lower fuel economy when running in AUTO. But its nice to have!

In summer, when you don't need the traction, its recommended to leave it in 2WD instead of AUTO.

t

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:15 am

I use the 2wd setting for most situations except when the roads are wet in the the other 3 seasons.

In winter I use the auto setting all the time - again except if I am on dry pavemant. 4 Hi if in deep snow. 4 Lo when towing people out of drifts

I never expect great gas mileage in winter due to cold starts, longer heat up time on the engine and extra cabin heating load on the engine. It just cost more.

I thought I might see an increase in consumption with the winters on - but they actually seem slightly better.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”