4-wheel drive tranny issue!!!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cruzstyle

4-wheel drive tranny issue!!!

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm

so it was driving in teh snow for teh first time today in the path. my SLIP light started to blink so i stopped. placed the trans in N and switched over to 4WL. once i got to where i was going (driving about 10 the whole way) i wentt o go back into N and place the tanny back in 2WD put noticed a ATP light was on and my "wheels" image on teh left was gone. so when i went to go back into park when i hit rev a loud zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound come from under teh car. so i went back into N let it sit and when i got back up to R the ZZZZZZZZZZZ sound again. so i just said F this and put it into P and then a clunck clunck clunck sound come from under teh car. so i freaked out and placed it back in N and sat there wondering what to do. after about 20 mins just went to go back into park and everythign worked fine but my ATP light was still on. so i shut it down and 4 hrs later went to go drive and it was like nothing ever happened. ANY CLUES???

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm

It sounds like the range fork was stuck in Neutral between high and low. I haven't had it happen on the PF, but it does give a good crunch when shifting in and out of low range. The clunck clunck you heard was probably it finally shifting back to high range.

On tranfer cases in the old days, you had to quickly shift from 4H to 4L or you get stuck in neutral and get the grinding you heard trying to get it out. The PF does this with an electric motor instead of a lever. Perhaps try shifting to 4H successfully first, then back to 2H, which uses another shift fork. It may have not liked going straight from 4L to 2H, which would involve both shift forks instead of just one.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Use 4H and you won't have this kind of problem. 4L is for extreme situations...mainly off-road, very hilly terrain or rock climbing. 4L can be tricky to get in/out on a good day even if you know what you're doing. I wouldn't sweat it in this case. It just got stuck somewhere in between and eventually worked itself out.

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 am

Dont go directly from 2wd to 4Lo..You dont even need 4Lo..But anyways if your gonna use it,,then

shift from 2wd to 4HI first, let it engage,put you transmission into neutral, then shift from 4Hi to 4LO..wait for the light to stop blinking then put it back in to drive your good to go. When getting out of 4lo,same thing but other way round of course.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 am

awesome thanks guys. i was thinking i had to buy a new tranny but im very glad i dont

driftedoffroad

Postby driftedoffroad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 pm

coom1986 wrote:Dont go directly from 2wd to 4Lo..You dont even need 4Lo..But anyways if your gonna use it,,then

shift from 2wd to 4HI first, let it engage,put you transmission into neutral, then shift from 4Hi to 4LO..wait for the light to stop blinking then put it back in to drive your good to go. When getting out of 4lo,same thing but other way round of course.
This is what I always do and always works. Also like everyone said 4H is the way to go. My wheeling friends say "4H on the fly 4L creepin slow."

The_David

Postby The_David » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:11 pm

coom1986 wrote:Dont go directly from 2wd to 4Lo..You dont even need 4Lo..But anyways if your gonna use it,,then

Yes.

You only really need low if your already stuck or climbing something.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:07 am

ive been using the path for 3 years offroading, never found a use for 4Lo.

used it maybe 3 times total.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”