whining engine

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 am

driftedoffroad wrote: I have always used synthetic and change it religiously at 3k miles.
jeez. that's a bit much :shock:

then again.... if money/time isn't an issue to you, might as well

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:04 am

I really want to get into a routine with Blackstone Labs to make sure I'm not wasting oil, or extending my drain intervals too much.

Right now, I pretty much match up my Oil Change Interval with my 08 civic that has a maintenance minder. I drive about double the mileage on the civic, as its my work commuter. So I usually get about 10000km out of the civic, which means I change the Pathy about every 5000-7000km.

Have been changing with Mobil 1 5w30 and factory filters when possible.
t

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 am

ya i typically use 5w30 e.p. synthetic + mobil 1 filter --- go around 7-9k/intervals. i've been thinking using the good frams(tough gards) recently. after researching those, they are affordable & built well enough to handle their purpose]

anywho, sorry to get off topic

driftedoffroad

Postby driftedoffroad » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 pm

webmastir wrote:
driftedoffroad wrote: I have always used synthetic and change it religiously at 3k miles.

I take pride in having a spotless engine :) plus with the small poor excuse for a filter nissan provided for us I would not want to push it any further. I have gone up to 4k on occasion when I am lazy and its noticeable that the oil is more broken down. If we had a bigger filter I would have no problem going longer but....we don't lol. So thats why I play it safe :)
webmastir wrote: ya i typically use 5w30 e.p. synthetic + mobil 1 filter --- go around 7-9k/intervals. i've been thinking using the good frams(tough gards) recently. after researching those, they are affordable & built well enough to handle their purpose.
I have used two other filters when I didn't have a Nissan filter and noticed the oil was not as clean as it was with a Nissan filter.

sorry to get off topic :)

Scarbs

Timing chain guide trouble

Postby Scarbs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi guys. I'm new to the site. I saw this string and wanted to share my experience. I noticed a whining sound coming from my engine a few weeks ago and finally got it into the dealership this week. My pathfinder hit the 5-year/60,000-mile threshold about 60 days ago. The dealer tech diagnosed the sound as the timing chain guides wearing out. Because I was so close to the end of the warranty expiration, I asked Nissan to work with me on the cost. The cost I was quoted for the repair was $1,119 + tax. Nissan reviewed the matter and agreed to cover the labor costs if I would pay for the parts. The parts were only $40. I am very impressed and pleased by Nissan's handling of my issues.

.moO^.

Postby .moO^. » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 am

Is this issue suppose to be cover under powertrain warranty? or standard warranty? I have 52k which is still within the powertrain warranty I think but I'm out of the standard warranty.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 pm

driftedoffroad wrote:
webmastir wrote:

I take pride in having a spotless engine :) plus with the small poor excuse for a filter nissan provided for us I would not want to push it any further. I have gone up to 4k on occasion when I am lazy and its noticeable that the oil is more broken down. If we had a bigger filter I would have no problem going longer but....we don't lol. So thats why I play it safe :)
webmastir wrote: ya i typically use 5w30 e.p. synthetic + mobil 1 filter --- go around 7-9k/intervals. i've been thinking using the good frams(tough gards) recently. after researching those, they are affordable & built well enough to handle their purpose.
I have used two other filters when I didn't have a Nissan filter and noticed the oil was not as clean as it was with a Nissan filter.

sorry to get off topic :)
that is also why I change every 3,000 with Mobil synth. THe filter is smaller than the filter on my wifes old honda 4 cylinder. I personally would not run oil through that tiny thing for more than 3,000 miles. However I have been meaning to try and find a larger filter that would fit in the space provided with the same diameter threads. Anyone researched that yet?

Scarbs

Postby Scarbs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 pm

.moO^. wrote:Is this issue suppose to be cover under powertrain warranty? or standard warranty? I have 52k which is still within the powertrain warranty I think but I'm out of the standard warranty.
Powertrain warranty--5 years/60,000 miles.

ChitownPathfinder

Postby ChitownPathfinder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:50 pm

I had whining noise on my 05 and it turned out to be the oil filter! Yes, the dealer diagnosed it and I was very surprised. I had changed the oil at Jiffy Lube (last time that happened) and there oil filter turned out to be faulty. Now I use k&n or mobil 1 filters and I have been noise free for the last 15k miles! I'm at 63k now

tuleman

Postby tuleman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 am

I second the oil filter comment. My wifes 3.5 altima was doing the same thing, and that engine is basically the same as ours. we run royal purple oil and was using the fram filters. We took it to the dealer and they changed the oil and filter hasnt happened since. That was in the summer time. On the subject of oil my wife ran her engine down to about 1 quart of oil 2 times and it is still running strong. We cant seem to find where her oil is going, but that belongs in another forum.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”