Drive Shaft Extension Installed Incorrectly By Dealer (2005)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Energata

Drive Shaft Extension Installed Incorrectly By Dealer (2005)

Postby Energata » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Now I don't know what to make of this.

Here's the scoop: A new tranny was installed on my 2005 Pathfinder in May 2010. Since the snow came, I've been using 4wd quite a bit. It switches into 4x4 no problem...whether your cruising on the road or stopped or whatever...it'll switch to 4x4 no problem.

Unfortuately it won't switch back to 2wd without making a complete right or left turn (we're talking a complete 90 degree turn, not just a curve in the road). Doesn't matter if you stop, crawl slowly or continue on flat surface on cruise control....it will NOT shift back to 2wd unless you make a 90 degree turn (left or right).

Here's the intersting part (eveidently non related by the Nissan Dealer). When the dealer inspected the truck last week, I was told that when they installed the new tranny last year, someone installed the Drive Shaft Extension on the wrong end of the drive shaft. It was installed in the front of the drive shaft as opposed to the rear. (???)

The 4wd problem evidently has my dealer stumped as well. They sent an email to Nissan Techline last week. But so far, they have't heard anything back.

Any thoughts? :?: :?:

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm

sounds like soem one is blowing smoke. The front & rear driveshafts only go in one way that i know of.
Maybe they screwed up somthing with the electrical shift control ???

Energata

Postby Energata » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Yes exactly. Didn't make a lick a sense to me either. I've contacted Nissan's headquarters here in Canada, so I'll see what they have to say. Apparently they'll "look into it" and call me back. Not sure if I believe that.

One way or another it'll get sorted out. I was just hoping someone on these boards has heard of of a drive shaft extension being installed incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure, if not 100% sure, that when this dealer installed the new tranny last spring, somebody ****ed up somewhere along the line and now they're sidestepping or backtracking on the issue....

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 pm

jefbarn

Postby jefbarn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:58 pm

yeah, the 4wd in my 2005 always works like this, kind of a pain when you want to switch it off on the highway to get some better mpg. Well, if the dealer figures out any way to make it better, let us know!

Energata

Postby Energata » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:52 pm

NVSteve wrote:Did you see this thread?

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Thanks for pointing me to that thread, good info.

However, my Pathfinder NEVER did this until the new tranny was put in. It went in/out of 4wd smoothly and flawlessly before, nary a problem. Now, it won't switch out of 4wd unless you make a hard left/right turn with it. Uh-uh, somethin's up.

Point is, if the vehicle is functioning in a way other than what is normal, or what it was previously...then obviously something is wrong somewhere....which means there is a fix.....

jefbarn wrote:yeah, the 4wd in my 2005 always works like this, kind of a pain when you want to switch it off on the highway to get some better mpg. Well, if the dealer figures out any way to make it better, let us know!
Absolutely, will do.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:34 am

A theory thats been bandied about is that driveline play is a factor in the 4wd disengagement. Perhaps the new trans has more play? or perhaps your front driveshaft is worn.

t

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:51 am

Energata wrote:Now, it won't switch out of 4wd unless you make a hard left/right turn with it. Uh-uh, somethin's up.

Point is, if the vehicle is functioning in a way other than what is normal, or what it was previously...then obviously something is wrong somewhere....which means there is a fix.....
Mine has been like this since mile 6, and I know others here have posted about it operating the same way. I'm betting it is perfectly normal & nothing is wrong in your case, but then again, it could be something similar to the ABLS making a loud popping/pinging sound at 12mph that some of us have, some of us don't.

Energata

Postby Energata » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 am

disallow wrote:A theory thats been bandied about is that driveline play is a factor in the 4wd disengagement. Perhaps the new trans has more play? or perhaps your front driveshaft is worn.

t
Thats sounds like a very logical theory, I'll pass it on to the dealer...who has still yet to call me back on what the found....and see what they say.

Energata

Postby Energata » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 am

NVSteve wrote:
Energata wrote:Now, it won't switch out of 4wd unless you make a hard left/right turn with it. Uh-uh, somethin's up.

Mine has been like this since mile 6, and I know others here have posted about it operating the same way. I'm betting it is perfectly normal & nothing is wrong in your case, but then again, it could be something similar to the ABLS making a loud popping/pinging sound at 12mph that some of us have, some of us don't.
I know what your saying. The thing is, mine never did this...ever, until the new tranny was put in place. Either the new tranny is quirky, or the actuator (somewhere/somehow) got FUBARED.

I also had the 4Wd light come on when I got stuck yesterday in some deep snow drift on my driveway...the 4wd/2wd/LO indicator just didn't show everything and as per the manual, I shifted into N then switched back to 2wd and all was fine....

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”