Driving in 4W-H

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bdsams

Driving in 4W-H

Postby bdsams » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 am

Had an odd occurance (or it was to me). We got a bit of snow last night so I was driving to work in 4w-h instead of auto, everything was fine until i got to my parking garage. There are a couple of hard- near 90 degree turns. When the wheel got close to its max turning radius, it felt like the idle died and the car wouldnt move unless i applied gas.

Now being nervous i reperformed one of the turns in auto and all seemed fine...is this normal?

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:01 am

It sounds pretty normal,,when in 4Hi it locks the centre diff for a 50:50 Torque distribution,,while in Auto it manages to switch between the two with out you actually doing anything. Ive experienced it my self when i first bought the truck. Driveline binding i think its called.

bdsams

Postby bdsams » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:05 am

coom1986 wrote:It sounds pretty normal,,when in 4Hi it locks the centre diff for a 50:50 Torque distribution,,while in Auto it manages to switch between the two with out you actually doing anything. Ive experienced it my self when i first bought the truck. Driveline binding i think its called.
My 95 ford explorer used to do it but only when it was in 'low' gear so I was a bit surprised when i felt the same thing in High.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:30 am

Totally normal. I would flip it to auto when you start moving at the lower speeds and want a good turning radius. I don't have the auto mode, and usually switch to 2wd in these situations.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 am

Unless your in a situation where you will have wheel slippage no turns should be done with 4wd on. The outside and inside wheels obviously move at different speeds and since they are locked togethor somethings got to give.

Picture a race (bikes, cars, people whatever) where its a big oval. The racer on the outside has to go a farther distance then the inside guy to end up completing the same oval.

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 pm

I think the term is wind up

Axle wind-up begins to occur when you select 4wd and start to corner. The reason is that when 4wd is engaged, you are driving front and rear axles at the same speed all the time - when you corner the front and rear must be driven at different speeds as they take a different track. This causes tension built up within the whole of the drive train and if then, tension is not released it keeps on building up until something gives. Usually something small, delicate and very expensive!!

taken from
http://www.oncourse4wd.com/4wd/4wd_axle_windup.asp

I use 4wd low in deep snow and on very gentle bends - then engage auto.

also excellent reading on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differenti ... _device%29

hope this helps

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”