What can set "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

slavabon

What can set "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light?

Postby slavabon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm

We had -12F this night and when i went to start the truck up in the morning it misfired for a second and then started running normal. I never saw it misfire before during start-up, but it was sitting for a few days in below freezing temps. I let it idle to warm up and when I get back inside I see "service engine soon" light on. It went away after about 100 miles of driving. The whole time truck ran fine, no issues. What could have set this light off? That little misfire?
Now that is is gone should I even worry about getting it looked at?
Its an 06 with 70K (highway) and religious service maintenance. New OEM battery few weeks back.
Any thoughts? It never did this before, but i don't beleve it was started in -12F before either, at least by me.
Thanks for your input!

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:00 am

Yes that little misfire can cause the SES light to come on. I would keep an eye on things for a bit. with it being -12 out you could have a little ice in the fuel which could cause a misfire. it takes generally about 50 to 100 miles for the computer to reset itself.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

No more SES light for 2 days now at cold start upd, but its also a bit warmer, even though still below freezing. Cold weather does trippy things to cars!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 am

Its been below -30C here in Manitoba off and on for the last month. The only thing I notice in this cold weather is that my fan clutch screams at me on startup (until you step on the gas, then the noise goes away), and that the transmission definitely shifts harder when the fluid hasn't been warmed up yet.

I am tempted to un-do my bypass (temporarily) to see if that would change the shift 'hardness' when the trans is cold...

As far as winter being hard on cars, I agree. I've had to boost my honda twice this winter already as the battery is getting weak and the car sits for up to a week sometimes without use.

Also, if the condition that set off the SES disappears, after 3 engine startup/shutdown cycles it should turn off. However, if you plug in a code reader, you will still be able to read the code.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 am

It was -35 F here in ND. I checked the temp on the battery (-37F) and my engine block (-42F)... I tried starting the ca and the battery was COMPLETELY drained. it had been sitting in the cold for 2 days, -30F + on, both days. After I got a jump start, took 15 min to get barely enough charge to crank, the car started. Service engine soon light, VDC AND Slip lights are all on, on dash. When I get to driving here in the next couple hours I am hoping the light will turn off. I know the VDC will go off after a few minutes and pressing the button. I have a good 400 mile drive ahead of me, so ill have plenty of mileage to test out that service light.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 pm

You need to have your steering angle sensor zeroed. That's why slip/vdc lights are on.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Sounds like you need a block heater.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 am

Hey guys, well I got back home safe and sound! no probs on the long drive. It took about 400 miles before my SES light turned its self off. When I got to denver I had autozone pull the codes, turned out to be "stuck throttle body" that set off the ses.i am thinking the built up carbon and moisture froze up in there. as for the vdc slip I just had to turn off and turn on the car to get things back to normal. I finally was able to put in new spark plugs, the old ones were fouled. the ones i replaced were the same, ngk irridium ix i belive. I Didnt have to remove the shroud/intake manifold.... but while I was in there I dropped the intake to tube connected to the throttle. the outer portion looked clean but around the intake valve there was some caked on carbon goop. I took a dry rag and wiped the flap down and some of the areas inside the intake, as well as the back side of the intake "flap" Im guessing thats what its called.I put in a new k and n stock style air filter and a new duralast platinum battery. boy when it rains it pours, lol. I figured I might as well do it all at once since I was already under the hood. the batt terminal + was heavily corroded, i replaced that as well with a nice shiny gold terminal. all in all about 2 to 3 hours. amazing how a new batt just works like magic. car stars very quickly. as for pep, changing the filter & plugs + cleaning throttle the car seems to regain some of its power back :) my only question is just before this little tune up I was getting between 10 to 14 mph average city mileage on 91 octane... now it stays flat at 9.3 mpg... this I am having trouble understanding. tire pressure is good, no heavy acceleration and no change in weight of vehicle , any ideas? btw I did purchase an oilpan heating pad this last weekend. hopefully it keeps the oil warm!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”