VDC and 4-wheel Drive at the Same Time

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

dsmorey

VDC and 4-wheel Drive at the Same Time

Postby dsmorey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I've read and seen information saying that when you are in full 4 wheel drive that you shouldn't have any kind of traction control on, in this case VDC. Is that true?

Reason I'm asking is last year we received a good 3 feet of snow and our neighborhood didn't plow very well at all. So of course I had to take the Pathfinder out. I kept VDC on and also put it in 4WD HI. The whole time I'm driving around, the SLIP dash indicator is showing and I can hear (and feel) the VDC kicking in.

Now when you are in 4WD, don't you WANT all wheels to have control and not allow the traction control to kick in?

Please let me know if I should be turning off VDC when in 4-wheel drive HI or should I just always keep it on?

Thanks

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 pm

You're fine. The only time you don't have a choice, if memory serves, is when you pop it into 4LO. In that case, VDC will not turn on. I'd say using it with 4HI is a personal preference. I always turn mine off when I have it in 4HI because I guess I'm just too used to having 100% full control of the car I'm driving, and VDC can really limit that control at times.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:48 pm

How does the VDC feel? Every time I slip I hear and feel what I think is the antilocks. But then again.... one time I was sliding around when I was giving it gas and i heard and felt what feels like the anitlocks and I said WTF is that. I then thought it was the transfer case grinding or something.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:44 pm

VDC works by cutting throttle and/or apply ABS. It does a slick job (pun intended). I've tried hammering around the corners here on slippery roads and you basically can't slide the ass-end without turning off VDC. Doesn't appear to be a way to shut-down traction control at all...so when I'm doing donuts in the drive to entertain my daughters (I get no enjoyment whatsoever...) the ABS is doing it's best to override my throttle inputs.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Whenever I put it in AUTO or 4HI i take the VDC off. Even in light snow where just keeping it in 2wd i take the vdc off. I just feel more incontrol and know what the truck is going to do.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

In my opinion, VDC works way better on slippery roads with the 4wd on. Not only can it control the ABLS to ensure you don't go into a tail spin, it also gets control of your throttle to ensure you don't spin. Just feels more sure-footed.

I used to hate automatic systems that controlled my driving. But I've learnt to trust the VDC in the Pathy. One time, the system had a fault and stopped working though. That was scary, had to actually remember how to drive!

Once thing most people don't consider is how fast tires wear down when you spin them on ice. With the VDC system, you never really spin, so I would imagine it really helps save your tires. Albeit at the expense of brakes, but whatever... :)

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”