Alignment - no go!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Alignment - no go!

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi everyone.

Finally got around to changing my tires from LT265/75R16 to P265/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler AT REV02s. Decided I wanted to get an alignment at the same time.

They showed me that the adjustment bolts in the back would not budge, they were corroded badly. And because of how they go into the control arm through a bushing, there is no real way to force it without basically replacing the entire lower arm on the rear suspension.

However, we looked at the tires we pulled off, the alignment wasn't really affecting the tires that much. A little wear on one of the rear tires on the inside, but otherwise not bad at all. This is after about 20000km.

See the attached readings they took. They didn't adjust anything, as he said they start in the rear and work to the front, so since they couldn't adjust the rear, he stopped. They didn't charge me for anything because they couldn't complete it.

Any thoughts on the readings they got?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 am

I just replaced the rear lower control arms that house the rear springs on mine. (2005 with 72K miles)

The arms are pretty in-expensive. I think I paid about $40 each. I replaced mine because rubber bushings go bad in the arms. I didn't have any corrosion issues.

It's a pretty easy job to do yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

Once you replace them your alignment shouldn't be an issue.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:30 am

I have the same issue the whole rear is rusted up. The mechanic said that it only takes 2-3 years for this to happen and that it was inevitable. Shitty design I guess. Plus he then said some of my front couldnt be put into spec too. I am just going to leave it be and live with it because they werent out of spec to badly.

I am pretty dissapointed so far in the reliability of Pathfinders and so this was no surprise. After buying my path I have done several AC parts including the rear lines, 2 u joints, fan belt tensioner, fan clutch...

goblue90

Re: Alignment - no go!

Postby goblue90 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:58 am

disallow wrote:Hi everyone.

They showed me that the adjustment bolts in the back would not budge, they were corroded badly. And because of how they go into the control arm through a bushing, there is no real way to force it without basically replacing the entire lower arm on the rear suspension.

Was it the forward lower control arm or the rearward control arm housing the rear coil like pawjr's? I have the AC Deluxe suspension installed on my 05 Pathfinder and the installer wasn't able to get the rear in spec. I may install new lower control arms (I have the coil bucket one but am not sure if I should replace the forward one) come spring to see if that helps.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”