Long Term Update 05 Pathy SE

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

P0455 is an Evap System Leak code. I keep getting the small leak and big leak codes. My local dealer has changed everything they thought it could be, but the leak still keeps popping up. It doesn't cause any driveability problems, so it doesn't bother me much. If you ever get it figured out, let me know what the problem is.

Energata

Postby Energata » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, reading this thread (and many others...) in its entirety certainly gives me a good overview that quite a few people are experiencing waaaaay too many issues with their 2005 Pathy's. So, I'm not alone there then....

I've got a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it in August 2008 with 52k on the odometer with full warranty up to 160k (or April 2011). I am at 159,800 kms and I am shitting bricks.....

Here is MY list of problems...I've only picked the best, I have about 30+ pages of work orders....yeah - 30!). All work done at Nissan Stealership under warranty:

Major:

Feb 2009 - Complete front diff replaced (about $3,000)
May 2010 - New Transmission (about $6,000) - This was baaaad. Took the dealer(s) almost 3 months before it was determined what was going on.
Feb 2011 - New 4wd Actuator ($$$ ??? Didn't fix the problem yet)

So that's $9,000 ++ (Lets be generous and say just $8,000...)

Less Major: (all from memory, not looking at WORK ORDERS)

- 3 U-joints
- 4 heat shields removed due to noise (dealer recommended action...)
- 2 x fuel sending unit
- Front Crash Zone sensor replaced ( :?: )
- Interior heater motor and fan replaced
- Vent control (near fuel tank) replaced
- 2 Seat belts (different times) replaced, were not retracting properly
- Both rear hatch hydrolic lifts replaced.
- Heater not functioning while idle or going slow....coolant refilled (where the F is it going to / leaking to then?)
- Seat reclining assembly replaced @ front (2 times)
- Rear seat handle (for folding seat up/down) replaced

(NOT A COMPLETE LIST...)

....and yes, I look after my truck. Synthetic oil, regular maintenance etc etc. I've had multiple comments that the damn thing looks brand new as I always cleaned (in and out) and waxed. No question, I look after it. Also, the only thing I tow is an enclosed ALUMINUM 12' trailer, with an ATV...total weight = 2,000 lbs (~250 lbs error). And to give an example how little I've towed, last year I went riding MAYBE 10 times.....locally (which actually does suck, but thats another story).

So on the bright and cheerful side, I can say that had I not had the warranty, I would be out an easy 10-12 grand. And that is a VERY conservative guess considering everything I've had done. I don't think there has been an entire 3, maybe 3.5 month period, where the truck didn't have to sit at the dealer for 2-5 days to get something repaired.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really.................................................really don't like my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Unfortunately I am not in a finacial position right now to sell it and buy something else...as I recently bought a house.

I've decided that I will be writing a major letter to Nissan WITH copies of ALL my work orders and asking for a resolution. If some type of proper resolutinon is not offered, I've got a really good lawyer that will get involved. No choice.

......sorry for the raNISSANt.

Chase

Postby Chase » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 pm

I feel your pain, I too have recently bought a house and cannot afford to deal off this thing yet, I need to get another year out of it. I don't understand what any lawyer is going to do for you, you got bought a poorly made SUV but nissan has paid for all or most of the repairs, right? What do you expect Nissan to do, extend your warranty because your pathfinder is a $hit-box?? If that's the case then sign me and everyone else here up.
Sorry if I sound bitter, I'm tired of all the problems due to poor sub-par materials and design. Yesterday my blower motor started whining like a sob....I guess it's just worn out :roll: In short, to anyone who says I'm a whiner, well i guess I just can't afford to accept it like you can, and certain people are just in denial to justify the purchase to themself. Whatever the case, if you've had little to no probs with your Pathfinder then good for you, I wish I could say the same.

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Let me get some cheese. LOL

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:06 am

Chase wrote:if you've had little to no probs with your Pathfinder then good for you, I wish I could say the same.
That would be me :D

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 am

jasunderland wrote:
mar1 wrote:2 water pumps, 2 front shocks, 2 bushings, 1 lower control arm, 2 front shrouds twice, 3 front bumpers, 1 rear.

and i still love it. thinking of trading up for the 2012 model once warranty expires in november.
:D
4 total bumpers? :?:
amongst the various other plastic pieces that are only there for decoration....

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 am

I am a big fan of Nissans and I have owned 9 so far......all over 100,000 miles and 4 over 150K and 2 over 200K. I agree that Nissan is having too many issues lately...but so has everyone else. Since 2001 when the economy took a crap......all companies are looking for cheaper ways to build the vehicle. They are asking their suppliers for same parts....20-25% cheaper. When that happens....crappy parts come out. It also sucks that they stopped building this Pathfinder in Japan. My 2002 is still rock solid and my 2005 has has more issues in a shorter life span.

As to the guy with the leaking radiator.....You can't expect Nissan to pay for it if it has an external leak due to something other than a defect. I have seen several leaking radiators due from off roading and a rock hitting it at 70mph from the car in front of them. All the other issues....I agree....Nissan should step up and take care of loyal customers.

Energata

Postby Energata » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Chase wrote:I feel your pain, I too have recently bought a house and cannot afford to deal off this thing yet, I need to get another year out of it. I don't understand what any lawyer is going to do for you, you got bought a poorly made SUV but nissan has paid for all or most of the repairs, right? What do you expect Nissan to do, extend your warranty because your pathfinder is a $hit-box?? If that's the case then sign me and everyone else here up.
Sorry if I sound bitter, I'm tired of all the problems due to poor sub-par materials and design. Yesterday my blower motor started whining like a sob....I guess it's just worn out :roll: In short, to anyone who says I'm a whiner, well i guess I just can't afford to accept it like you can, and certain people are just in denial to justify the purchase to themself. Whatever the case, if you've had little to no probs with your Pathfinder then good for you, I wish I could say the same.
I've been self employed for the past 12 years. So in the course of business, I have had my share of hiring lawyers and dealing with the like for a while. Not just business but personal matters...

i.e (non business related) - 5 Years ago my lawyer sent Honda a letter (long story short, Honda wanted to leave me hanging with a bad transmission on a Rubicon ATV, the second one in 12 months, warranty expired by just 5 weeks). And that was solved before seeing a court room.

I won't go into any detailed lecture here my friend, but educate yourself a bit in the laws of the land, talk to a lawyer perhaps, do some research online (or in a library) and you will have a clearer understanding of what precisely you can or cannot accomplish within the provisions of the law (YMMV).

11 years ago I bought a 2 year old Ford Windstar (barrrfff!) from the biggest Ford Dealership in town and after a 4 weeks, it turns out that the van I bought was in a major accident, the dealership had the ENTIRE rear quarter panel, sliding door and rear door replaced.

When I brought this up to the dealership they were "hmmm, ummm....hmmm" and just trying to avoid me and the general manager was always "busy". So, I hired some legal counsel and I approached their manager in person who finally starting taking me seriously...but not offering any type of resolution. Within 48 hrs my lawyer sent a letter to them with a time limit of 5 days to settle with me, or we take it to court and sue (of course) for lost days at work, all expenses up to that point to pursue the matter and yada yada so forth etc. They would have been screwed as they did not disclose the damage to me when I bought it. AND paperwork obtained from the DMV proved they knew about it! So, they offered to take it back, and provided me with another Windstar that was worth about $7,000 more than the $18,500 I paid....those "NorthWoods" edition green ones (god I hated those..).

Anyway, if you know your rights....and, to put it bluntly, don't want to take an ass raping from these manufacturers / stealerships. Then stand up for your yourself and you rights man! Because honestly, most people are like you and don't do anything about it - and the manufacturers / dealerships / insurance companies (ETC!) know that fact all too well.....

scrooks

Postby scrooks » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 am

For the original poster and your radiator issues. I just replaced mine on a 2007 pathfinder, (@73K miles and also a 2006 Titan 72K miles) at the same time. It's a simple job and a ("KOYO" Lifetime warranty radiator) can be purchased for $200. PM me and I'll give you the rundown on doing the replacment yourself. Biggest key is to pull the fan assy to create enough room to pull the whole unit out with the plastic shrowd attached. Also Do not try to remove the metal side plates that have the rubber grommet attached. They need to stay on while your removing the old unit. Then just pull them and install onto new Rad. along with the shrowd. Took me 1.5 hours from start to finish. Hope this helps :wink:

Chase

Postby Chase » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Energata wrote:
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really.................................................really don't like my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Unfortunately I am not in a finacial position right now to sell it and buy something else...as I recently bought a house.

I've decided that I will be writing a major letter to Nissan WITH copies of ALL my work orders and asking for a resolution. If some type of proper resolutinon is not offered, I've got a really good lawyer that will get involved. No choice.

WOW get real dude. Because your don't like your 2005 Nissan Pathfinder you think Nissan owes you something? I hate mine but I'm not knocking on their door asking for my money back. You said ALL of your repairs were covered under warranty what more do you want? What more could they do but give you a loaner car while the repairs are being done? You want lost wage payment for the time you took to take the vehicle there? Pain and suffering? I complain about my truck all the time but where I'm from once warranty is over, it's over.

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

scrooks wrote:For the original poster and your radiator issues. I just replaced mine on a 2007 pathfinder, (@73K miles and also a 2006 Titan 72K miles) at the same time. It's a simple job and a ("KOYO" Lifetime warranty radiator) can be purchased for $200. PM me and I'll give you the rundown on doing the replacment yourself. Biggest key is to pull the fan assy to create enough room to pull the whole unit out with the plastic shrowd attached. Also Do not try to remove the metal side plates that have the rubber grommet attached. They need to stay on while your removing the old unit. Then just pull them and install onto new Rad. along with the shrowd. Took me 1.5 hours from start to finish. Hope this helps :wink:
Thanks mehn! I actually figured out how easy it is when I installed the new clutch fan over the weekend. However, that's not the point. Why am I replacing these parts before or at 60K miles. I actually created a how-to on replacing the clutch fan titled "replacing fan clutch/coupling"

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 am

Cliff_Jumper wrote:
scrooks wrote:For the original poster and your radiator issues. I just replaced mine on a 2007 pathfinder, (@73K miles and also a 2006 Titan 72K miles) at the same time. It's a simple job and a ("KOYO" Lifetime warranty radiator) can be purchased for $200. PM me and I'll give you the rundown on doing the replacment yourself. Biggest key is to pull the fan assy to create enough room to pull the whole unit out with the plastic shrowd attached. Also Do not try to remove the metal side plates that have the rubber grommet attached. They need to stay on while your removing the old unit. Then just pull them and install onto new Rad. along with the shrowd. Took me 1.5 hours from start to finish. Hope this helps :wink:
Thanks mehn! I actually figured out how easy it is when I installed the new clutch fan over the weekend. However, that's not the point. Why am I replacing these parts before or at 60K miles. I actually created a how-to on replacing the clutch fan titled "replacing fan clutch/coupling"
What were the signs of a bad clutch fan ?? Im trying to diagnose a problem im having with my cooling fan staying on all the time and seems to get louder with accelleration. It was mentioned it could be a bad fan clutch. Any help would be nice.
We just picked up an 05 last week and i have to be honest after reading these forums for the last week im scared SH%^LESS.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:07 am

Cliff_Jumper wrote:
Can you post a link to your how to on replacing fan clutch/coupling?

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 am

I beleive this is his post

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... utch#30624

A google search just turned this up

"How to Detect a Faulty Fan Clutch

Fan spins excessively when engine is stopped.
Poor A/C performance at idle or low vehicle speeds.
Fan speed does not increase when engine is hot.
Fan speed does not increase until engine is excessively hot.
Fan blade tip moves more than 1/4” front to back.
Fan turns roughly or does not turn at all.
Excessive fan noise at all speeds due to failed bearing.
Vibration that increases with engine speed."

Energata

Postby Energata » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Chase wrote:
Energata wrote:

WOW get real dude. Because your don't like your 2005 Nissan Pathfinder you think Nissan owes you something? I hate mine but I'm not knocking on their door asking for my money back. You said ALL of your repairs were covered under warranty what more do you want? What more could they do but give you a loaner car while the repairs are being done? You want lost wage payment for the time you took to take the vehicle there? Pain and suffering? I complain about my truck all the time but where I'm from once warranty is over, it's over.

"Wow get real dude"?

You know, its people like you that continues to drive companies overall conception of the average consumer. "Don't stand up for yourself!", 'You can't fight THE MAN!", "They're too powerful, just forget it" Mentality like this is why we, as consumers, get overall shoddy, poorly built products we pay THOUSANDS for, and we're too keep our mouth shut about it!? I think it is you who needs to get real....dude.

As in my example, becuase I stood up for myself and had the balls to go through with it, I was able to get Honda AND Ford (as per my examples) to pay for their mistakes.

Vehicles are going to break down, of course. But there is a line. Which is why the U.S. has something called the "lemon law", we have certain rights under consumer protection (both U.S. and Canada), where we can demand a reasonable reliability and/or safety with our products that we pay for.

A lot of people don't like getting screwed over by auto manfacturers / dealers (maybe you enjoy it, I can't comment). Just take a look at this http://www.camvap.ca/eng/consumers_guide.htm
as one example of people fighting for their damn rights.

After the myriads or issues with my Pathfinder from small to HUGE since day 1, I have every goddamn right to get Nissan to do something about it. I paid many thousands of dollars for something that never worked like it should, or advertised. Now, whether my resolution would be more extended warranty, partial/full refund, another vehicle .... I don't know. I'll cross that bridge when I get there....

But there is a fine line in EVERYTHING...and in this situation, we're way past that line.
Chase wrote:You want lost wage payment for the time you took to take the vehicle there? Pain and suffering? I complain about my truck all the time but where I'm from once warranty is over, it's over.
I've done it before, with my Ford WindStar fiasco 11 or so years ago. I'm rather shocked this sounds almost, "new" or unheard of to you. I submitted an expense report/schedule along with my expected compenstation. Did it work? Yes. Would any company like to see customers stand up for themselves and fighting for their rights? ........No. They prefer people like you who don't stand up for themselves, allow others to dictate what/when/why will happen and take it with a smile. :P

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”