Long Term Update 05 Pathy SE

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Energata

Postby Energata » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Chase wrote:What more could they do but give you a loaner car while the repairs are being done?
Funny....................I don't recall mentioning getting a loaner car..................................

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Just wondering, are you the person that sued McDonald's because the coffee was too hot? Or are you the one that sued junk food companies for making them fat?

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 am

Caveat emptor

Energata

Postby Energata » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

serturbo wrote:Just wondering, are you the person that sued McDonald's because the coffee was too hot? Or are you the one that sued junk food companies for making them fat?
No. I am the motherfucker who doesn't take shit. Nothing more, nothing less.

This has nothing to do with suing anybody, or frivolous lawsuits, which is where your going with your comment (or whatever label you want to tag on to it).

You sound like someone who sits quietly in the corner saying "yes sir, sorry sir!".
bpk01 wrote:Caveat emptor
Touché....

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Energata wrote:Well, reading this thread (and many others...) in its entirety certainly gives me a good overview that quite a few people are experiencing waaaaay too many issues with their 2005 Pathy's. So, I'm not alone there then....

I've got a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it in August 2008 with 52k on the odometer with full warranty up to 160k (or April 2011). I am at 159,800 kms and I am shitting bricks.....

Here is MY list of problems...I've only picked the best, I have about 30+ pages of work orders....yeah - 30!). All work done at Nissan Stealership under warranty:

Major:

Feb 2009 - Complete front diff replaced (about $3,000)
May 2010 - New Transmission (about $6,000) - This was baaaad. Took the dealer(s) almost 3 months before it was determined what was going on.
Feb 2011 - New 4wd Actuator ($$$ ??? Didn't fix the problem yet)

So that's $9,000 ++ (Lets be generous and say just $8,000...)

Less Major: (all from memory, not looking at WORK ORDERS)

- 3 U-joints
- 4 heat shields removed due to noise (dealer recommended action...)
- 2 x fuel sending unit
- Front Crash Zone sensor replaced ( :?: )
- Interior heater motor and fan replaced
- Vent control (near fuel tank) replaced
- 2 Seat belts (different times) replaced, were not retracting properly
- Both rear hatch hydrolic lifts replaced.
- Heater not functioning while idle or going slow....coolant refilled (where the F is it going to / leaking to then?)
- Seat reclining assembly replaced @ front (2 times)
- Rear seat handle (for folding seat up/down) replaced

(NOT A COMPLETE LIST...)

....and yes, I look after my truck. Synthetic oil, regular maintenance etc etc. I've had multiple comments that the damn thing looks brand new as I always cleaned (in and out) and waxed. No question, I look after it. Also, the only thing I tow is an enclosed ALUMINUM 12' trailer, with an ATV...total weight = 2,000 lbs (~250 lbs error). And to give an example how little I've towed, last year I went riding MAYBE 10 times.....locally (which actually does suck, but thats another story).

So on the bright and cheerful side, I can say that had I not had the warranty, I would be out an easy 10-12 grand. And that is a VERY conservative guess considering everything I've had done. I don't think there has been an entire 3, maybe 3.5 month period, where the truck didn't have to sit at the dealer for 2-5 days to get something repaired.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really.................................................really don't like my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Unfortunately I am not in a finacial position right now to sell it and buy something else...as I recently bought a house.

I've decided that I will be writing a major letter to Nissan WITH copies of ALL my work orders and asking for a resolution. If some type of proper resolutinon is not offered, I've got a really good lawyer that will get involved. No choice.

......sorry for the raNISSANt.
I really can't understand what the real problem is, and why you want to sue...... If everything you've stated has been repaired under warranty and no cost out of your pocket, it actually sounds like a fairly good deal. You bought the vehicle USED with 52,000 kilometers (32,000 mi.) and did you get a report on the history of the vehicle before you bought it? And if you didn't.... then the joke is on you bud! Always research the VIN# and get the full service history on the vehicle before you buy. If that history is not there then weigh the deal on the chance that you are buying a POS, because you don't know what has happened to it with the previous owner. I can't understand why you would want to sue NISSAN when there could be issues with the lack of care with the previous owner. I bought my '05 used with 13,000mi. on the odo with a VIN matched CarFax report and full service history, I've had a few typical issues. I fully aware that the typical issues (IPDM, tranny cooler, timing chain guides, auto tensioner, fuel sender) are Nissan's defective parts, and they have their service bulletins/recalls. But other problems could be wear/abuse by the previous owner. So... when you get rid of your Pathfinder do yourself a favor and buy a new vehicle if you're going to be that worried about problems.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:30 pm

:roll: ByPath was more fun..........

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 am

Energata wrote:You sound like someone who sits quietly in the corner saying "yes sir, sorry sir!".
Nope, I'm just realistic about my expectations from my cars. I also don't complain about something just to complain. Like Storm said, you really have nothing to complain about yet since your SUV has been under warranty.

But let's look at this from a dollars and cents perspective. Some info a mechanic friend told me: a normal vehicle costs about $120 per month in maintenance after the typical 3 year warranty. Given that and assuming your typical 3 year warranty was up when you bought the vehicle in August '08, you should have spent $3720. But you said you had $9000 worth of work covered by the extended warranty, so you are wayyy over the average $120 per month. This vehicle is a lemon to you and you have made that perfectly clear. It only make sense that you sell the vehicle and purchase something else. The numbers are YELLING at you to do so. Yet, you decide to keep the vehicle and THAT is my point. You could sell it or trade it for something else. The replacement may not be as nice looking or as new, but it wouldn't be this lemon you keep complaining about.

Energata

Postby Energata » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 pm

serturbo wrote:
Energata wrote:You sound like someone who sits quietly in the corner saying "yes sir, sorry sir!".
Nope, I'm just realistic about my expectations from my cars. I also don't complain about something just to complain. Like Storm said, you really have nothing to complain about yet since your SUV has been under warranty.

But let's look at this from a dollars and cents perspective. Some info a mechanic friend told me: a normal vehicle costs about $120 per month in maintenance after the typical 3 year warranty. Given that and assuming your typical 3 year warranty was up when you bought the vehicle in August '08, you should have spent $3720. But you said you had $9000 worth of work covered by the extended warranty, so you are wayyy over the average $120 per month. This vehicle is a lemon to you and you have made that perfectly clear. It only make sense that you sell the vehicle and purchase something else. The numbers are YELLING at you to do so. Yet, you decide to keep the vehicle and THAT is my point. You could sell it or trade it for something else. The replacement may not be as nice looking or as new, but it wouldn't be this lemon you keep complaining about.
I understand what your trying to say. Albeit I think we have two completely different viewpoints on the matter. Yes, ideally I would trade it in, and I certainly will right soon. However, its still not the point.

Hell, here is an organization to uphold consumers rights as per car manufacturers in Canada: http://www.camvap.ca/eng/consumers_guide.htm

But to reel back a moment, I never said I'm going to outright sue anybody. A lawyer would simply, effectively and efficiently uphold a consumers rights on the matter, if I chose to go that route. As a matter of fact, I've already found out that my situation would certainly warrant said course of action.

I've had 3 or 4 specific issues with this thing for example, where they couldn't find what the cause was for weeks or months. In the case with my 4WD system, it was in the shop for that for the first time back in mid November. And since the service manager is out on vacation, I won't be able to bring it in until March 5. The U.S. has a lemon law....We have something a bit more pathetic here in Canada where the exact same part has to fail 4 TIMES before its officially labeled a "lemon". So, its frustrating to say the least.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”