suspension is sort of sloppy any suggestions 2011 pathfinder

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

spamking98

suspension is sort of sloppy any suggestions 2011 pathfinder

Postby spamking98 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey what's up guys, I just got this new pathfinder, when I drive it over some bumpy roads, the suspension feels sloppy like i would lose control easily...do guys think it would help if I changed the shocks or springs and get low profile tires..?

Npath

Re: suspension is sort of sloppy any suggestions 2011 pathfi

Postby Npath » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm

spamking98 wrote:Hey what's up guys, I just got this new pathfinder, when I drive it over some bumpy roads, the suspension feels sloppy like i would lose control easily...do guys think it would help if I changed the shocks or springs and get low profile tires..?
I've heard members installing airbags for suspension, but there issue was sagging while towing.

I'd change the shocks and if that doesn't work... airbags? If either or both combinations don't work, then you may have to change the suspension.

tuleman

Postby tuleman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm

dont put 4x4parts springs on your vehicle unless we find a solution to our allignment issues. i did and i cannot get my rear wheels alligned properly i am left with 1.5° positive camber in the rear and have been trying for a year to resolve this problem to no avail. 4x4parts is aware of this and they keep selling their garbage to unsuspecting people.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:08 am

If it's doing what mine does....it's usually referred to as "bump steer". Feels like it just lifts up and jumps a bit on the road. I put new Bilstein shocks and Airlift bags on the rear and while that improved the overall handing it still continued to jump around on certain roads/bumps. It improved quite a bit when I replaced tires (Michelin MS2) and had a good alignment. It will still jump a bit on very harsh bumps but not nearly as much as it used to. So in summary...a good alignment would be the starting point. Quite possible the factory alignment was so-so

spamking98

Postby spamking98 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 am

skinny2 wrote:If it's doing what mine does....it's usually referred to as "bump steer". Feels like it just lifts up and jumps a bit on the road. I put new Bilstein shocks and Airlift bags on the rear and while that improved the overall handing it still continued to jump around on certain roads/bumps. It improved quite a bit when I replaced tires (Michelin MS2) and had a good alignment. It will still jump a bit on very harsh bumps but not nearly as much as it used to. So in summary...a good alignment would be the starting point. Quite possible the factory alignment was so-so

what size tires did you get ? and I will try an alignment to see if that helps...is it because of the big tires ?

remyek

Postby remyek » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 am

spamking98 wrote:
skinny2 wrote:If it's doing what mine does....it's usually referred to as "bump steer". Feels like it just lifts up and jumps a bit on the road. I put new Bilstein shocks and Airlift bags on the rear and while that improved the overall handing it still continued to jump around on certain roads/bumps. It improved quite a bit when I replaced tires (Michelin MS2) and had a good alignment. It will still jump a bit on very harsh bumps but not nearly as much as it used to. So in summary...a good alignment would be the starting point. Quite possible the factory alignment was so-so

what size tires did you get ? and I will try an alignment to see if that helps...is it because of the big tires ?
My car was the same as you describe. However, after it was rebuilt by arctic trucks it was a new car. Much firmer ride and much more stable. If it´s because it´s way wider than before, larger tires or whatever I don´t know. But the car is 10 times better after then before when it was in it´s original shape. Had the feeling of loosing control in some bumps!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

spamking98 wrote:

I kept the stock 265/65-17's. The stock tires got worse as they aged.

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 pm

What were you driving before? I have noticed a little bump steer too but always just figured its because the Pathfinder is a truck. Will have to keep the alignment in mind though.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:57 am

With the exception of a couple sports cars, I've daily-driven nothing but trucks/suv's for the last 15 years. PF is the worst I've owned for jumping around. Drives pretty good 99% of the time but every once in awhile I'll hit a bump or a frost-heave and it will scare the crap out of me. It isn't nearly as often or harsh after new tires and alignment...but shocks/airbags did not correct it on their own.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”