Thermometer

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cbacarisse

Thermometer

Postby cbacarisse » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:12 pm

I've noticed that my outside temp thermometer is always wrong, or slow. It may eventually get to the right temp. My PF is a 2010 SE.

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:29 pm

upon startup mine is almost always way off and eventually adjusts.

so you're not alone.
really doesn't bother me so I never looked into it.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Mine is usually close at startup or adjusts quickly. Mine really gets out of whack during wheeling. Last year in Colorado it started out at 68* when we began an eight mile trail up a mountain. As we went along it kept creeping up until it reached 102*. I was curious where the probe was located on the vehicle because it is really affected by the heat off the engine at lower speeds.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:24 pm

richardekirby wrote: I was curious where the probe was located on the vehicle because it is really affected by the heat off the engine at lower speeds.
it's behind the grill, so it is sensing the temperature of the radiator area of the engine compartment, which will be hotter at low speeds due to less air flow
when re-starting with a warm engine, it will read much hotter than the ambient air temperature

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:46 pm

eieio wrote:
richardekirby wrote: I was curious where the probe was located on the vehicle because it is really affected by the heat off the engine at lower speeds.
it's behind the grill, so it is sensing the temperature of the radiator area of the engine compartment, which will be hotter at low speeds due to less air flow
when re-starting with a warm engine, it will read much hotter than the ambient air temperature
What he said.

It's the nature of these things. You just gotta drive it for a couple of miles for the sensor to figure out the temp of the airflow. The PF is no different, in that regard, than other temp sensor systems. Its response isn't instantaneous.

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 pm

That makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Today I noticed exactly that.
That's a kinda dumb place to put that sensor, but then again where would you put it.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

cbacarisse wrote:That's a kinda dumb place to put that sensor, but then again where would you put it.
I agree, but there has to be a better place. I've never had one be so off at lower speeds or while sitting still. I've owned a wide variety of vehicles with onboard thermometers and none of them have been as drastic as this one.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”