Tire Pressure Sensors

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

thehumphries

Tire Pressure Sensors

Postby thehumphries » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Sorry guys, sure there is a post on this, but I am stuck in chicago with a problem I need help with and only my phone.

This morning we woke up from our short little vacation in Chicago and our rear right tire was dead flat. Went to change the tire and while doing so the POS jack collapsed. Thankfully I still have all my fingers.

I had it towed to make sure no damage was done, all is well, but I have 2 tires with leaking TPMS. Dealership says total would be about $300 to replace them since they are corroded (or something along those lines).

Can I do this myself and is it easy? $300 good price? Any info would be great. Thanks
2005 LE

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:37 pm

I think you can do it for cheaper. It only depends on the time you have. You can usually find the correct TPMS online cheaper than at a dealer and then take them to your favorite tire shop and have them put them in. They don't have to dismount the tire, just deflate it and install it.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:19 pm

just put plain rubber ones in for now....get them to save your old sensors if they dont snap....you can clean up the threads later, seals and nuts are available for $3

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Tech is absolutly correct. Get the rubber ones, and get home. THEN... you can get new guts and fix them for about 3 bucks.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 am

Wait, but you have to dismount the tire to replace the actual TMPS sensor, right?

My TPMS light is coming on after ~20 minutes of driving, the dealer says they usually see this when a sensor battery goes low but they can't determine which sensor unless the light is on when you bring it in. $180 to replace one sensor, but I figure that if one battery is dead the others are not far behind, and the TPMS system is not worth >$700 to me.

So is there a way to replace TPMS sensors without dismounting the tire?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am

I don't think so. I've never done one on the Pathfinder, but you will have to let the air out of it and replace the air valve, which usually incorporates the TPMS, then fill the tire back up. That's how I've done it before.

SilverGhost

Re: Tire Pressure Sensors

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 pm

thehumphries wrote:Can I do this myself and is it easy? $300 good price? Any info would be great. Thanks
2005 LE
Discount Tire, if there's one around, will rebuild/replace all four for $10 a piece. At least, that's what I paid when I bought my Michelins from them in January.

thehumphries

Postby thehumphries » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 pm

We ended up using the full size spare (which I am grateful for) on the rear tire, and the front size is a small leak, which I am just dealing with by having to put air in it probably about once a week.

I am hoping to hold out like this until about May then doing new tires, CAI, and a few other things for our drive from Wisconsin to West coast and back.

If I can hold out, hoping to do new tires and then replace all the TPMS then and maybe save a few bucks? Thoughts?

Side note, they did put all my tires back to stock PSI and the ride is def rougher, does anyone run a few PSI or lower to increase ride comfort?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”