In my top 3 dumbest things ive ever done.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AGNY85

In my top 3 dumbest things ive ever done.

Postby AGNY85 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:37 pm

"Lost my car keys"

I work as an Aircraft Mechanic, so if you have any experience in this field, tool accountability is of upmost importance. Although not a tool, Keys are metal and will FOD out an engine pretty damn quick.

To the point... I "Lost" my car keys and i went looking for them. After about 20 minutes of searching, i wound up telling my supervisor that i couldnt find my keys. well this grounds all aircraft. We only have 3 where i work but still. No flights can go out until they are accounted for.

After an hour of searching with about 5 other people, i decide to check my car for them. Ive never left my car keys in my car or lost them in about 10 years of driving.

I walk up to my car and i hear it idling. I left my keys in my car with the engine on for over 4 hours! I dislike using the phrase "epic fail" but i think this accounts for one of those times.

My point is i guess i love my job so much that i cant wait to get out of my car and get right to work(I wonder if i say this enough, it will actually come true).

Thought it might give some people a laugh cause i know i did.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I hear that memory is the 2nd thing to go :P

cannonball

Postby cannonball » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 pm

I used to work as an Aircraft Mechanic and have had the exact same thing happen to me. Except we had 24 aircraft and it was not an enjoyable day for me.

Glad to hear you found your keys though and not in an engine somewhere!

mar1
Sponsored Member

Re: In my top 3 dumbest things ive ever done.

Postby mar1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 pm

AGNY85 wrote: I dislike using the phrase "epic fail"
on the contrary i like it. epic fail.

well important thing is that u found them.

had an issue once with my pathfinder, where the car actually locked itself with the keys inside.
fortunately i was at the Nissan service center getting an oil change, and they explained to me that this is impossible and the car will never lock with keys inside because of the chip.
long story short, they opened it easy and turns out the mechanic had removed the keys from ignition but kept them in the car so the chip was too far for the reader to read.

i can imagine the stress of grounding all flights over a small key incident.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm in the Air Force and FOD awareness program is huge. So many things can FOD out an aircraft engine.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:09 pm

I had to break into a friends car that he left running and locked for about 3 hours,.... funny stuff !!!

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:21 pm

I accidentally walked across the tail of an aircraft that still had it's TURBINE idling... A319 I believe it was.
I think my eyes blinked in time with the red running light by some off chance and I thought it was shut down. lol...
hey thats an awfully warm breeze tonight... OH SHIT!

emazingli

Postby emazingli » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

SHAWNATGERBROCK wrote:I had to break into a friends car that he left running and locked for about 3 hours,.... funny stuff !!!
LOL. I had experienced it also. My friend was so angry with me that day.

trance34

Postby trance34 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 am

I was in an F-14 squadron so tool accountability is huge. I think the term Epic Fail fits this quite well.

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 am

Wow! That's crazy, 4 hours! Glad you found them!

usafaviator

Thanks

Postby usafaviator » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:31 pm

AGNY - from a single engine USAF pilot, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a dedicated professional. My family would surely echo that sentiment.

-Amp

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”