Roof drain channel paint issue - and rust

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Spamcan

Roof drain channel paint issue - and rust

Postby Spamcan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

On my "new to me" '05 PF I noticed the channels for water drainage on both sides of the vehicle have paint flaked away. It's not on the bottom of the channels, but on the 2mm vertical edges. It looks like there's still primer, but now that I live in the rainy PNW, I'm seeing rust spots.

I touched up one side, but ended up going to dealer to see what they would do. Surprise - nothing, said it's not covered.

Does anyone know of a recall, TSB or some other recourse I can use to push the issue and get this repaired? Like I said earlier, this was a used PF, and bought at a Nissan dealer and Certified Pre-Owned. So I would think they'd cover this.

Thanks, Dave

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:02 am

they all have that issue. nissan refuses to fix the problem if it's not under the 3 year 36k mile mark.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 am

That really sucks. What has everyone done to repair it? Just prime/paint yourselves? Paint shop?

Npath

Postby Npath » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 am

Spamcan wrote:That really sucks. What has everyone done to repair it? Just prime/paint yourselves? Paint shop?
I got mine repaired under goodwill. A year later it started cracking again... and again, repaired under goodwill.

There is some kind of epoxy in the rain channel. It's like some type of really hard rubber? Anyways, I was able to dent it with my finger nail.

They gave me a bill that wasn't suppose to be given to me, nor am I suppose to see it. The bill came out to be $1500, roughly.

It will crack again, so best to look for cracks when the temperature is reasonable and dry. I've used the touch up paint from the dealer, works fine.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks Npath. Makes sense as to why it would be so common. Many adhesives/sealers are not friendly with paint, especially if they leech chemicals out.

I'll attempt one more time at getting it taken care of by the dealer since there's a little rust now, and it was this way when I bought it less than a year ago (just didn't see it at purchase). Then, try touch up paint. Though I am tempted to try spray or roll on bedliner material (getting ready to do my rear bumper). But that may be too thick and stop the purpose of it. Will see how thin I can get it on the bumper, maybe...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:04 am

I've certainly noticed it on mine also. It almost seems like there is a plastic liner that runs the length of the channel, because whatever is underneath the paint is not the kind of surface paint will stick to. If it ever gets to the point where rust is involved, or most of the paint comes off, I'll just bedliner the channels. That would be the easiest, cleanest & most durable of options.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:19 am

There is a seam where the roof panel meets the outer uniside panel. The roof panel gets glued on and welded in certain spots than the seam sealed and painted. Over time it breaks down and lets water get through.

Here is a Lexus RX350 we are putting a roof on. You can see the seam and the seam selear.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Dang, so it goes. I'll see how well (or not) the bedliner bumper goes and how practical it would be in the channel. If I get more info or pics I'll post. Thanks all.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”