Black headlights...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

novaman

Black headlights...

Postby novaman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:59 am

Hey guys. I wanna get black headlights. I know theres some people that just pull the stock headlights and take them apart and spray them....is there anyone that has done this or anyone have a diy for the pathfinder.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 am

for both rear and front, easiest way is to spray em.

a newspaper and 3 minutes later...

novaman

Postby novaman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:35 am

Hey crap man that looks nice.....did u just spray the outside? What prep did u do like any sanding..? And what spray paint....? Does it seem to stick well?

novaman

Postby novaman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:36 am

Hey crap man that looks nice.....did u just spray the outside? What prep did u do like any sanding..? And what spray paint....? Does it seem to stick well?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 am

It's best to remove the lamps from the vehicle to avoid overspray on the rest of the vehicle and so you can coat the entire lamp evenly and cover all the edges. You also want to mask off the backside of the lamp that you don't want paint on.

You can buy the black lamp spray paint on line. I personally feel it's too dark and you also run the risk of the police harassing you. (that varies by where you live) The more coats you put on the darker it gets. The spray paint also has a flat look to it.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html

I really like the look with a black tinted clear coat sprayed on the lamps. You basically mix a very little amount of black base into a clear coat and spray the lamps. You can choose how dark to go by the amount of black you mix in and by the number of coats you spray. The lamps have a nice gloss to them and look like a factory smoked lens if you do it this way. You can also do your headlights this way and you can control how dark they get so you don't lose too much light output from them. You'll probably want to upgrade you headlamp bulbs to a brighter bulb.

You'll want to scuff the lenses with an automotive grade scotch brite pad and clean the lenses with an alcohol pad before you spray them.
Last edited by pawjr74 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:51 am

first of all what pawjr said for the police harrassment. laws here say the light has to be visible at a distance of 100 feet; check with the cops where u live.

i used a black car headlight spry can for $5.
2 coats, just wiped it clean with a kleenex and surrounded the lights with newspaper. keep your hand at a distance of 6-8 inches and spray evenly. try to practice on a rock or your neighbors car first.

also for the front headlights i wouldnt recommend it as the stock lights on the pathfinder are crap anyways.

alternatively, check out GOTGOO's headlights:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

CAMO

Postby CAMO » Mon May 02, 2011 11:57 am

nice trailer hitch cover 8)

mar1 wrote:Image

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”