tire pressure sensor

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

guinnessjim

tire pressure sensor

Postby guinnessjim » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:03 pm

so this might be a stupid question, but i assure you it wont be my last ;)

ne1 know how the pressure sensor works? when i upgrade my tires, will i have to look at that little yellow "!" because i am no longer running at the factory set pressure? or do the tires measure pressure w/ respect to each other, not a given psi? this makes more sense to me, but again, i don't know...

thanks.

danny

Postby danny » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:35 pm

I haven't had my sensors in for a few weeks now and no dummy light yet. I imagine they are programmed for a certain pressure.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 pm

According to the factory sevice manual posted on this site, the light comes on below 28psi. The sensors are part of the valve assembly it appears. Since Danny doesn't appear to have factory wheels anymore and the light doesn't come on, maybe the sensors have to actually be there to tell the light to come on.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:16 pm

I'm surprised danny didn't get an idiot light w/o the sensors. But that could very possibly be because he had no sensors at all and the system just auto-disables that feature. I know when just one is missing/not reporting you will definitely get a light.

And yes, they will come on at a preset psi. So as long as 08 is correct and you don't have some crazy tires that require less than 28psi you'll be ok.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:53 pm

The TPMS dash light has only come on once due to a punctured low tire and went off about 5 minutes after the wheel was reinstalled. The dealership parts guy tells me these sensors run about $100 (Cad price) each but are covered under waranty if they fall apart or fail in use, which is uncommon but could happen as they contain a small battery. Mostly the sensors give problems from damage done to them by inexperienced tire shop workers and road damage.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:12 pm

My '06 has 36600 miles on it now. I had to take it in 3 times to get mine sensors fixed. The first two times were under warrenty and they just reset it (even though the second time I reminded them that it didn't last by 100 miles the last time). The last time was only 2 days ago, but they replaced one of the sensors even though my warrenty was expired due to it being a pre-existing problem (and my not letting them feel like I would pay for it w/o a fight). So far so good w/ the new sensor.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”