fluctuation rpm

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

asgard

fluctuation rpm

Postby asgard » Wed May 18, 2011 10:27 am

I have just undertaken a fuel system clean with Seafoam. 40000miles- 2007

I did not disconnect any electrical connection of remove the throttle body what i did was this

Part 1 I used Seafoam deep creep and shot it into the TB in front of and behind the butterfly, I wiped out all black carbon deposits.

Part 2 Undid the brake booster pipe and poured in about 1/2 can of Seafoam with engine holding 2000rpm pulled in fine and then left for about 30 minutes to soak, placed rest of can into tank.

Blew out the Seafoam with a spirited drive and returned home.

Problem,

Since then i have noticed that the engine increases rpm just as it shifts, from about 900rpm to about 1200rpm, I have tried this with A/C off and on - same result. An I just unaware of this happening before or is it new - had all the code read and nothing came up. Idle is as it should be 700ish rpm. Anyone else noticed this - if so is it as a result of cleaning and settles over time/mileage. No check lights just this slight pickup in rpm.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed May 18, 2011 12:28 pm

It sounds like your throttle body wasn't that dirty. Your idle may be slightly high but not high enough to give you the high idle code and check engine light.

Mine raced between shifts like that too. Does it downshift roughly compared to before? Not want to coast down in speed as much? And feel a little more eager to go from rest with your foot off the pedal?

Idle RPM should be 625 +/- 50. After I had Nissan reset mine (I couldn't get the method from the service manual to work) it settled right down to that, not 700. I think the high idle code comes up above 750 RPM so you might not be tripping it.

I did the same thing you did and had to go through the idle air relearn with Nissan. It's very unlikely I'll ever touch the throttle body again...

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed May 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Well I am still within a day of doing this clean out so I intend to leave it and review in a week or so.

I was at the dealers last week getting the fuel sensor replaced and check light extinguished and he said it had some codes related to the transfer case - 111 times - he wiped these and said give it a week - so I did and they were gone - asked if he could check the rest and it was all clear. Knew nothing of Seafoam.
Runs great- it was a little dirty and I thought worth doing - but you are right - might not happen again. Still under warranty so that will at least take care of any faulty bits if they do go.

System does seem quite elaborate compared to other cars I have done this on.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”