What would be the causes of hard shifting?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

PC05

What would be the causes of hard shifting?

Postby PC05 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Have an 05 pathy with 67k miles on it, had tranny flushed and filled at the dealership a few months ago and it shifts real smooth except for every now and then it will shift hard going up from a standing stop especially on the first shift. I noticed today that while going down a hill and it did its downshift as it always does, then once you come out of the hill it shifts back up, it shifted extremely hard which I have never felt.

What could this be? Should I take it back and tell them what is happening?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 26, 2011 11:44 pm

It's worth a shot to take it back to the dealer. The only problem is, you need to take them on a drive and have them feel the problem with the shifting. Unless you can reproduce the problem, troubleshooting is very hard to come by. It's more of a guessing game until they solve the problem.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Went to an autozone to see if any codes had been thrown, no codes were found, however I get down the road about 3 miles and noticed my VDC/off and SLIP lights were on. Stopped the vehicle turned it off and waited a few minutes then turned it back on and the lights were out. Continued home and they did not come back on. What would have caused that? Did checking for codes cause that to happen or could this be something to do with the hard shifting?

Thanks

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Two different issues. For your VDC/SLIP lights. Look at this thread:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1424

Do you still feel the issue with the tranny?

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 am

volvite wrote:Two different issues. For your VDC/SLIP lights. Look at this thread:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1424

Do you still feel the issue with the tranny?

Thanks volvite,

I had an appt with the dealer this morning but cancelled after trying to reproduce the problem all weekend and couldn't do it. No need to waste my time at dealer trying to get it to do it. I think alot of my issues are my OCD, since the shuddering stuff happened and a flush/fill fixed it I think I am looking for stuff at this point.

Wife drives it daily and I told her to monitor carefully for any signs and take it right to dealer if it happens again.

Just strange that it would happen like that and has not happened again.

I have noticed that when it is cold it shifts smoother and easier than after driving it 25 miles.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Yea unless you have the problem when you go to the dealer they really can't do much. Hope it's fixed.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm

volvite wrote:Yea unless you have the problem when you go to the dealer they really can't do much. Hope it's fixed.
Wife still says it does it a little when going downhill when it downshifts then she says she stays in the gas until it upshifts again and thats when the jerk is felt or lurch into the higher gear.

I dont know if theres a minor problem or if its even worth messing with now, drives fine other than this.

jumpnjoe

Postby jumpnjoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am

Sounds like you need the radiator and transmission replaced because of mixed fluids. Thats what mine turned out to be and nissan covered it under warantee. Check coolant, if it is foamy and oily it has transmission fluid in it.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Took it back to dealer and drove it all morning with them, checked codes, checked fluids, no issues found, couldnt get it to do the problem shift. Service manager was very accommodating and very knowledgeable and took the time to set me at ease. I was very impressed and now feel if there is an issue out of the 80k warranty ext. nissan will make it right.

Oh while I was there he cut me a very good deal on all diff fluids and transfer case flush and fills. couldnt pass it up. Got home after all that and washed waxed it again and drives like a new one.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 am

Good to hear. Hopefully no issues will come of it, and you will forget it even happened.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks volvite, yea thats what the wife and I are hoping, just forget it even happened and move on.

I still think I will do the radiator replace around 80 though, still got about 12k to go till then.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am

Yea, I would too especially if you intend to keep the vehicle and drive it into the ground.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 am

I drive all my vehicles into the ground so thats the only logical solution in my mind is a new rad. Still driving a 93 toyota 4x4 ex cab v6 that I bought brand new, love that truck.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:30 pm

I used to drive an 89 Nissan D-21 hard body pick up. 4 cylinder, 2wd. The engine ran great, cold a/c, nice warm heat, manual windows, locks etc, but it ran great. The body on the other had, had rust holes everywhere. Very common for old nissan trucks. Had a plastic bed liner in the truck, good thing too as that's the only reason I had a bed that could hold stuff. My younger brother finally destroyed that truck. Couldn't wait at a stop sign any longer and got hit. Moved the front of the truck to the middle. The truck kept driving all the way down to the junk yard. Too much money to fix the frame and all the body parts needed, but it was a great truck.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:35 am

They dont make stuff like that anymore.

We just cant ignore this issue with this tranny, it still does the hard shifting sometimes and I just told wife last night, "lets just drive it till it breaks I guess" she agreed but man is it annoying as heck. Going to go to the beach in a few months, hope it does'nt decide to give up down there.

IM wandering if that syn fluid and that BG additive they put in there is making it a more positive shift or something along those lines?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”