Weird Clicking noise

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

valenburg

Weird Clicking noise

Postby valenburg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 am

Hello all,

For some odd reason today my PF developed a weird clicking noise on the highway. I left boston this morning to head back north to my house, about an hour away. When I got to my area and turned the music down, I noticed a weird clicking noise. It is definitely speed related and not gear related. I jacked up the car and spun the front left tire and it kind of sounded like it was coming from the transfer case but then I realize it was coming from the front assembly.I jacked up the other side(I only have the roadside jack) and confirmed it(i think). We had a pretty brutal winter up here but my wife had the PF as I was deployed for the worst of it and i don't know how she drove it while I was gone. Any of you guys have some insight? i will be parking it for two weeks so I am not in a big rush to spend money on it yet. Oh yea, and I of course was driving it in 2wd but the noise is still coming from the front.

http://youtu.be/2Hgota5Hvr8
this video is of the front assembly and me turning the right wheel. it takes like a turn and a half for the worst of the clicking to occur.

http://youtu.be/x3FeyYpKqVA
THis where i thought it was the transfer case but ended up following the noise forward.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm no expert, but the first thing that comes to mind is the CV joint. Does the boot look okay?

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:09 pm

the boot seems good, it seems like the clicking is coming from the inside of the case. I will be out of town for a couple of weeks so I will try and do research while away and take it to a dealer when I get back.

jumpnjoe

Postby jumpnjoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:52 am

Sounds like bad universal joint to me

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am

jumpnjoe wrote:Sounds like bad universal joint to me
That would be my first guess as well, or at least the first thing I would check. Everything still spins even when not in 4x4.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

This is my first 4wd vehicle and I do not have any tools where I currently live so Dealership it will be when I get back from the wild Blue Yonder. The drive shafts are pretty red (rusted?) so I am hoping that is it which should be relatively cheap ?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 am

valenburg wrote:so I am hoping that is it which should be relatively cheap ?
If it's a u-joint, they are relatively inexpensive. If it happens to be the yoke, that'll be more expensive. It all comes down to what the dealer will charge, which is all over the place depending on where one lives. If it does end up being driveline related & the dealer estimate sounds too high, you can also take it to a driveline shop.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Well, I got back from my patrol and got in the pathy, flipped it in reverse, it made the clicking noise twice then stopped. The vehicle is still driving normal. Took it to Nissan since I needed an oil change and rotation anyway. The tech said everything looked fine and the couldn't get to a root cause. Oh well, saved a bunch of money hopefully it doesn't kill me down the road. He did say our diffs and the X's were pretty solid internally compared to the Armada and Titans ??

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”