Anyone replace a fan clutch?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Anyone replace a fan clutch?

Postby oreogaborio » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Wondering if it's a DIY project... sounds to me like the radiator cooling fan is always spinning. Haven't confirmed it yet though. Just going by what I hear.

EDIT: Yup... just double checked. Radiator fan spins freely when the engine is off, but is always spinning when the engine is running.
Last edited by oreogaborio on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 pm

that is normal operation. Is the truck overheating or is the clutch fan super loud?

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:08 pm

The fan is always on, even when the engine is stone cold & it's pretty loud... spins faster with increased engine RPM. Engine is not overheating.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Shazam! Dunno how I didn't manage to stumble on this earlier. Took a google search to dig it up.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... clutch+fan

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:07 pm

wow, i cannot believe that i was just about to post the same topic! and i have the same exact year and model! :shock:
anyways, i hope that you do not mind if i semi-hijack your thread, Pete. took my wheels to the dealer earlier for oil change, and they said that the fan cluctch is busted. they quoted me $500 to repair, so naturally i seek the good old internet for alternatives. so far i found two:
- rockauto.com has Beck Arnley for ~$71 plush s/h
- partsfornissan.com ~$117 + $4.50 s/h

does anyone have any comments regarding these sources and/or parts. specifically, is the Beck Arnley any good?

thank you!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:45 am

DrBeavis wrote:wow, i cannot believe that i was just about to post the same topic! and i have the same exact year and model! :shock:
anyways, i hope that you do not mind if i semi-hijack your thread, Pete. took my wheels to the dealer earlier for oil change, and they said that the fan cluctch is busted. they quoted me $500 to repair, so naturally i seek the good old internet for alternatives. so far i found two:

does anyone have any comments regarding these sources and/or parts. specifically, is the Beck Arnley any good?

thank you!
I've had great luck with Rockauto. But if you can go for the OE replacement for a couple bucks more, I'd be inclined to go that way.

And $4.50 shipping and handling seems cheap, I bet this clutch weighs 20-30lbs.

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 am

DrBeavis wrote:wow, i cannot believe that i was just about to post the same topic! and i have the same exact year and model! :shock:

thank you!
What are your symptoms? Decreased fuel economy? Noise?

I'm glad these things fail locked on, otherwise we'd have overheating problems.

t

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 am

DrBeavis wrote:

thank you!
I think I bought Beck Arnley from Amazon for $70. So far it's good.
If the fan is loud, it's toasted.

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:28 am

disallow wrote:

thank you!
What are your symptoms? Decreased fuel economy? Noise?

I'm glad these things fail locked on, otherwise we'd have overheating problems.

t
just noise. i have not driven it much since my last visit to the dealership's service, so i cannot comment on the fuel consumption.

martyf250

Postby martyf250 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 am

I had mine replaced but i think it was a crappy part because it will kick on when driving when its hot out or in the city rnadomly....i know it is doing its job but it never did it before withthe OEM. have to live with it i guess

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:48 am

disallow wrote:

thank you!
I've had great luck with Rockauto. But if you can go for the OE replacement for a couple bucks more, I'd be inclined to go that way.

And $4.50 shipping and handling seems cheap, I bet this clutch weighs 20-30lbs.

t
i was thinking the same thing. however, i am curious as to whether or not Nissan manufactures its own fan clutches. i always assumed that such parts were provided by some 3rd party. does anyone know for sure?

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:21 am

thanks for the info, Pete.
however, I would still like to know who supplies Nissan with fan clutches. I just don't want to spend $120 only to find out upon arrival that it is Beck Arnley's $70 piece.

lastly, I would like to know the most trusted and reputable Nissan OEM online part retailers.

thank you!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”