2008 5.6 SE 4x4 First Impressions/Issues

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

ColoradoPath

2008 5.6 SE 4x4 First Impressions/Issues

Postby ColoradoPath » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi All- this is my first post.

About 3 mos. ago I purchased a 2008 5.6 SE with 32,000mi just out of warranty (Calendar). The car runs and drives great with TONS of power for towing our camper. I have to admit for a $35k+ car new, there are a lot of squeaks, rattles and stupid issues.

The tailgate rattle was the first one, it became expensive, because I found the whole latch mechanism was broken and had to be replaced ($400). It hasn't made a peep since.

Next, I've found my sunroof drips into the drip trays provided in the ceiling during a heavy rain and squirts a small amount of water going through the car wash. I'm not going to mess with this.. the dealer says that it's supposed to do this. I'm not sure I believe them but I'm not going to open my wallet to explore it.....

My latest rattle seems to be a "ticking" noise (on barely rough roads) behind the plastic in the passenger side B-Pillar near the seat belt height adjuster. It is going to the dealer tomorrow. I've torn it apart several times and can't see anything that could be causing it.

Is this stuff typical??

My last vehicle was a 2008 Land Rover LR2 which was outstanding. (Let the Land Rover flaming begin...:)) It had one or two squeaks and rattles, but overall the fit and finish was superb. It was about the same price new as the PF. The only reason I sold it was to get another V8 for the camper.

I may eventually add the AirLift 1000 since everyone here loves it. I'm a little worried about alignment though.

I'll post a pic when I get the extension for my LoadWarrior roof rack installed...

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 pm

maybe just your vehicle. I bought my pf about 4 months ago. no rattle other than the stuff my wife manages to sneak and leave into my car >_<.

swordmetal

Postby swordmetal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Hey Colorado, I agree with the dealer about the sunroof, that tray is back there to divert water to drain channels on either side of the sunroof. From there, water runs forward or back to drain tubes down the A and C or D pillars. No matter how tightly the sunroof seal contacts the roof, some water will still seep through.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:05 pm

A $35k SUV is pretty cheap these days. I'm buying basic fleet pickups for work at $30k so we're not anywhere near the luxury zone here. I don't have a ton of rattles...a few here and there but nothing constant. I'm not going to sweat it though, certainly not enough to tear the car apart. We just bought a $45k minivan for cripes sake....and it's a far cry from a luxury vehicle...and has rattles to boot. LR2 isn't a bad vehicle...I just don't want to own one out of warranty! But even you said it had rattles too. I have had some rattle free vehicles...wife's Tahoe and Lexus GX470 were fairly rattle free. The Suburban LTZ's here at work get abused and they're pretty rattle free even with 90k+ miles. But we're talking $50k plus cars here.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm

I've had mine about 5 months, but am not around to hear any noises. My Wife has not complained to me about any noises either. Let us know what the dealer tells you. It would be good information to pass along.

ColoradoPath

Update-

Postby ColoradoPath » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

Admittedly, I don't tolerate squeaks and rattles well. The noise in the B-pillar almost sounds metallic. One possibility that the dealer mentioned is there are metal pins in the seatbelt assembly. If it is seatbelt related, it would be covered by warranty. Dare I to hope???

Don't get me wrong I do really like most all aspects of the PF. Especially the looks,engine and cargo space. Don't ask about gas mileage though.... But, I suppose that there is a reason that no one makes a Toyota Prius that will tow 7000lbs.

Can anyone comment on the likelihood of alignment problems after the airlift install?? I don't want to create another issue.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:19 am

I've had no more alignment issues after airlift than before. I run a lot of mining roads and generally run the snot out of this...and the toe always seems to be out. When it gets really bad it starts jumping (bump steer) so I take it in for an alignment. It did this before the airlift as well. Tires aren't wearing bad though.

fr8rain_1228

Postby fr8rain_1228 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi. I have the same model (2008, V8 5.6L) which I bought 4 months ago,it have 14K km on it. To date it has run 19k, the problem/issue right now is that it needs either transmission repair kit or a new transmission assy.

I am happy with this Pathy until this problem came along. I do hope you wont have the same problem I have now.

ColoradoPath

Update

Postby ColoradoPath » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

Well, the B-Pillar rattle has been solved. But, unfortunately, it isn't fixable. Apparently, the two metal halves of the B pillar were welded/glued together but there is slight movement that allows the two metal halves to contact just forward of the upper seat belt anchor.

I'm exploring the idea of drilling a hole and injecting foam sealer/silicone in that region to fill the void, but I may just have to live with it. The body shop I spoke with didn't seem that interested in helping.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:12 pm

That sucks. Is it possible structural damage?

ColoradoPath

Postby ColoradoPath » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:58 am

No-

I don't believe it's structural damage. I think it's more likely that the sealant wasn't applied evenly or the tack welds were a little off. Probably just built on a Friday. It's really not a huge issue. I'll probably just drill a hole and squirt a lot of slicone in it and hope for the best. It's all covered by the trim anyway.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 am

ColoradoPath wrote:No-

I don't believe it's structural damage. I think it's more likely that the sealant wasn't applied evenly or the tack welds were a little off. Probably just built on a Friday. It's really not a huge issue. I'll probably just drill a hole and squirt a lot of slicone in it and hope for the best. It's all covered by the trim anyway.
Yea that's a good thing. Nice find. Let us know what you end up doing as this may help others with possible noises.

ColoradoPath

Update

Postby ColoradoPath » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:44 am

Drilled 2 holes and used a whole tube of clear silicone... seemed pretty quiet this morning.. we'll see what happens. Stay Tuned.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Any chance you can take a picture of the area? Pictures speak a 1000 words. :D

ColoradoPath

Postby ColoradoPath » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 am

I'd love to, but I haven't figured out how to post photos here. I've already put it all back together too. It is basically just forward of the top seat belt anchor, 1/2 way between the anchor and door seal.

I think I've gotten about the 99% solution. It will still rattle very faintly once and a while, but it is MUCH better than it was.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”