Extended warranty

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Extended warranty

Postby marc515 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:25 pm

We have a 2011 Pathfinder, and are beginning to contimplate getting an extended warranty.

Our dealer offers a Lifetime warranty at no cost, but you must service in accordance with their mileage criteria; 3,000 for oild chances, tranny at 30,000, etc, which can end up to be very expensive over the long run. **However, for warranty work over the 5/60,000 mile mark, the warranty work must be done at our local dealer, which means if have a warranty repair 2,000 miles away, we either must have it towed home (ha, ha) or pay to have it done at another dealership.

Then there's the Nissan extended warranty plans, and I think the service is at the regular intervals in the maintenance schedule.

Any of you guys purchase one of the Nissan plans? If so, which one, and what can we expect to pay for it?

Thank you
Last edited by marc515 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 pm

I didn't (and generally never do) buy the extended warranty. However, if you were to buy one...only go with the OEM. Dealers go out of business, aftermarket warranties go out of business...it happens all the time. And when it does....the warranty is worth one (1) sheet of paper. Aftermarkets are usually more difficult to obtain repairs, have deductibles, and lots of fine print.

If you're going to spend the money on insurance, at least buy the better policy.

marc515

Postby marc515 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:57 am

My concern here is not the drive train, as the 5/60,000 should have that covered, but I am really concerened with the electronics of the newer vehicles, like the computers that keep it going, or something as simple as the tire pressure monitoring system, etc.

These newer vehicles can get expensive to repair.

Would appreciate some additioal insight from you guys with newer Pathfinders on the Nissan extended warranty

Thank you

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:28 am

The repairs can be expensive...but so are the warranties. They're in the business of making money so they price the warranty accordingly. Odds are obviously in their favor. I'm at 53k miles at the moment and haven't had a single repair. Since you won't see any benefit from the extended warranty for quite some time...I would say wait until you're closer to the end of the factory warranty and then shop for one. It will be more expensive down the road, but so much can change by then it will likely be worth it. You may trade it by then, wreck it or if nothing else have a good idea if it's a reliable vehicle (or not).

lotus6six80

Postby lotus6six80 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:03 pm

If all your worried about are electronics, cost of warranty vs. average repair is not worth it; that is if you even have a problem.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”