To upgrade or not to upgrade the PF?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

2006 Pathy

To upgrade or not to upgrade the PF?

Postby 2006 Pathy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 am

Well considering upgrading my pathfinder. I currently have a 2006 2WD with 71K miles. I love my pathy, it runs great, drives smooth and has had no problems. The only thing i wish it had was 4WD. I've considered dropping money into it in the future for the ARB air locker in the rear and a shrockworks front bumper to make it a little more trail capable but then i considered parts alone for these two upgrades will easily push $2K.

What do you guys/gals think? Should i invest in my '06 or trade up for a new 2010 V6 4WD? Any big changes to the 2010's? How do you guys like your 4WD pathfinders offroad?

Thanks,
Jason

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am

welcome Jason,

well theres no real major changes on the truck except a few upgrades on the interior.

the overall mechanics are the same, with minor fixes like the tranny/radiator issue. but regarding the 2WD, no matter what you do to it, it'll always be a 2WD. what do you need the 4WD for? how often do u go out? if its only a couple times a year, i personally wouldnt change it.

but if ur gonna change, you might wanna consider the V8 as an option as well with 4WD if its within ur budget. i just dont think the 06 2WD is worth throwing money on

2006 Pathy

Postby 2006 Pathy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks Mar!

The reason we got the truck was for my Son. Now that he's getting older, i wanted to take him camping. Also a lot my buddies have 4WD trucks that i used to go out with them a lot before my Son came along.

Your absolutely right in that a 2WD will always be a 2WD. Thanks for the reply, I'm going to head out to my dealership tonight and see what they have.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:13 pm

I can't imagine there are any '10 models still sitting. Obviously the $$ is to keep what you've got or just upgrade to a similar age with 4x4. Probably can do that for a few grand. Mine goes very well in 2wd but there are obviously limits to what you're doing. I've found you can get around ok in a 2wd if you're smart about it, but obviously you just can't go hitting a mud bog for fun. Good tires are also important. I mainly run mining road and fire-trails for work and rarely need 4x4 unless it's very muddy or snowy.

2006 Pathy

Postby 2006 Pathy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 pm

There are a few 2010's at my dealership that they are trying to move. There is a lot of desert terrain in SoCal but there are also a lot of hills and washes too. I just don't want to be out with the wife and kid and get stuck and not have a way out. Like the old saying goes better to have 4WD and not need it, than need it and not have it! I actually cannot find any 06-08's that are 4WD thru carmax/other dealers. That was my first thought to look there, but they are all 2WD models and the only 2 that were 4WD were priced comprable to the new 4WD models...

Plus we want to take my son out to the snow this year and 4WD will be needed.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 pm

2006 Pathy wrote:There are a few 2010's at my dealership that they are trying to move. There is a lot of desert terrain in SoCal but there are also a lot of hills and washes too. I just don't want to be out with the wife and kid and get stuck and not have a way out. Like the old saying goes better to have 4WD and not need it, than need it and not have it! I actually cannot find any 06-08's that are 4WD thru carmax/other dealers. That was my first thought to look there, but they are all 2WD models and the only 2 that were 4WD were priced comprable to the new 4WD models...

I'm pretty sure all Pathfinders in Canada are all 4WD, why, I don't know, but I could be wrong.

Thought of buying a Canadian model? They are no where near priced to a new 4x4.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Have you tried looking in other states that usually have more need for 4x4 trucks? So Cal usually does not need 4x4 so that's why they have mostly 2wd pathfinders.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

If you do look at used 4x4 from other states that are "snow" states, you gotta watch out for body rust. I bought mine in South Florida since I was moving to Maine and I wanted the 4x4 and there were only TWO (02) that were 4x4. Used of course. They were off lease and bought from dealers in NY, one had A LOT of rust the one I chose had a considerable amount less.

2006 Pathy

Postby 2006 Pathy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 pm

I haven't considered out of state pathfinders. Not sure I want to to be honest....I suppose if I can't get a sweet enough deal on a 2010 then I'll just wait it out to find the right upgrade. Like I said, my 06 is running like a champ!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

John

Postby John » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:06 am

[/quote] I'm pretty sure all Pathfinders in Canada are all 4WD, why, I don't know, but I could be wrong. [/quote]

No, you're right, all Canadian models are 4X4.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:17 am

2006 Pathy wrote:I haven't considered out of state pathfinders. Not sure I want to to be honest....I suppose if I can't get a sweet enough deal on a 2010 then I'll just wait it out to find the right upgrade. Like I said, my 06 is running like a champ!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Well let us know what you decide.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:37 am

Npath wrote: I'm pretty sure all Pathfinders in Canada are all 4WD, why, I don't know, but I could be wrong.

You are correct. They don't offer 2WD versions here, but you can find them. Lots of people buying up cars and trucks cheap in the US, with the Canadian Dollar at par to the USD.

One could buy a canadian model, but chances are the price would be much higher than you could find in the US. Simply put, we get hosed up here on new and used vehicle prices. A new PF is about 7-9k more than the exact same model in the US. 05s are still going for about 14-15k here (SE model). (check nissan.ca vs nissanusa.com for confirmation)

Also, the V8 was only offered here in 08, and for the beginning of the 2010 model year.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:56 am

How hard is it for you to buy in US and bring to Canada. There was a time many folks were doing the opposite here....and then manufacturers started voiding the warranty and there was a big blow-up about how when the Odo's were changed they were reset to zero. Sounds like I should drive to Canada and sell mine when the time comes.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:28 pm

skinny2 wrote:How hard is it for you to buy in US and bring to Canada. There was a time many folks were doing the opposite here....and then manufacturers started voiding the warranty and there was a big blow-up about how when the Odo's were changed they were reset to zero. Sounds like I should drive to Canada and sell mine when the time comes.
Its not really hard at all. You have to ensure the vehicle is on the RIV list of importable vehicles (the path is on it), and its $300 plus the GST (5%) to get it over the border. If you buy from a dealer up here, you have to pay the GST anyways. Then when you go to insure it, you pay another 7% for PST. Tax, tax, tax... yeesh

Warranty can be a hassle. If you buy new, the manufacturers are all different in how they cope with 'gray market sales' as these are called. Honda won't honor anything, by Toyota will. I've heard Nissan can go either way. Your only really in trouble if the problem is major, and minor stuff usually can be fixed yourself or ignored.

You do not have to change the odometer/speedo. However, it can make it easier to drive, not having to convert metric to imperial in your head all the time.

t

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Npath wrote:
2006 Pathy wrote:There are a few 2010's at my dealership that they are trying to move. There is a lot of desert terrain in SoCal but there are also a lot of hills and washes too. I just don't want to be out with the wife and kid and get stuck and not have a way out. Like the old saying goes better to have 4WD and not need it, than need it and not have it! I actually cannot find any 06-08's that are 4WD thru carmax/other dealers. That was my first thought to look there, but they are all 2WD models and the only 2 that were 4WD were priced comprable to the new 4WD models...

I'm pretty sure all Pathfinders in Canada are all 4WD, why, I don't know, but I could be wrong.

DONT BUY A CANADIAN MODEL BEFORE A SERIOUS INSPECTION!!! Because most of the cities here use salt in the winter and the way the pathfinder is designed basically everything underneath becomes super rusted within 2-3 years. Last year I went for an alignement before putting on some winters and the tech there said that most pathfinders more then 3 years old cant be properly aligned because everything is so seized up. So if you do get one here make sure you get a really good inspection including an alignment to make sure all the bolts are at least able to be adjusted with a torch. Since then I got new front control arms and I rustproofed last year and I will keep it up every year.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”