superchips cortex?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NYPathfinder

superchips cortex?

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Anyone using it? I did some research on it and it seems like a good buy. I found one locally a guy had on his frontier thats unlocked and willing to sell for $200. Just seeing if anyone has any gripes about it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 am

For $200 its a good deal. Keep in mind though, Bullydog is nicer, and has a trans temp measurement. Also, Superchips is launching a new product soon, so I doubt there will be much done to the Cortex line that hasn't been done already. The new unit looks much slicker, and is similar to the Bullydog.

I find the tool really handy for diagnosing OBDII codes, and with the diagnostic features that show engine parameters, it helped me determine I needed to change my O2 sensors. Now that my O2 sensors are changed and I'm getting better fuel economy, I will start playing with the tunes again. The 87 octane tune was really good, saved some fuel too if you don't throw your foot into it too hard.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:48 pm

I've been looking into the bullydog, but don't remember the trans temp. I guess I need to go back and do some reading again.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 pm

volvite wrote:I've been looking into the bullydog, but don't remember the trans temp. I guess I need to go back and do some reading again.
Here it is in action on my B&M external cooler thread...

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=5628

I used to have a superchips cortex but sold it and purchased the BD unit b/c of the trans temp display. Other than not having that, I didn't have any problems with the SC Cortex... 200 bucks is a great deal!

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks guys. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I can't justifying spending the extra $$ on a bullydog right now. Minus the trans temp display the sc will do everything I need.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:44 am

When it comes to our transmission, it seems no one that I have found, including SuperChips, wants to or has the ability to change torq conv lockup and modify shift points.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm

^haven't heard of any programmer for our pathys that can chage the tq. converter lock up or shift points. Maybe they think its a dead market? or because no one is asking for it. who knows. anyway i picked up the sc this morning and installed the 93 performance tune. Idk if its a placebo effect but i can tell the difference with it. feels much smoother through the rpm's and according to my butt dyno feels like a few hp.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Superchips has the HP and TQ gains listed on the forum for Nissan vehicles. In other word, its not just your butt! :)

t

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 pm

^lol yes i saw them but didnt believe it till i felt it on my dyno which i did.

I figured id use this thread for my quiestions concerning the sc since a few have it. Was messing around with the datalogging. brought up the voltage from all o2 sensors. and bank 1 sensor 1 had half the voltage of the others. Does that mean that o2 sensor is failing? or loose/dirty connection?
heres a pic:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:15 pm

CPLTECH was kind enough to post this a while ago:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm
Rich equals higher voltage readings
Lean equals lower voltage readings

What is your current fuel economy? I got a 30-40% improvement after changing the sensors, so its really noticeable.

Also, reading rich on your post cat sensors could indicate a problem with your cats. You could change the sensors and see if the voltage changes...

What kind of values do you get for engine load? I checked mine the other night, and its around 40% at 65MPH.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:31 pm

im getting around 14.8-15.0 average. If i reset it on the highway its 19-21mpg. I average 250-270 miles out of a tank. Ill check the engine load in the morning. I should change the cats? you would think with not even 70k on it thats something that shouldn't have to be replaced.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry, I meant the sensors, not the cats. I've edited my post. Also note, that I haven't done anything to my post cat sensors yet. They shouldn't have any effect on fuel economy, either, so unless they are throwing a code, I wouldn't bother.

Your mileage is slightly better than mine prior to the sensor change. I was getting 12-15MPG (depending on mix of city/hwy).

Now I'm getting 19-21MPG.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:43 pm

I guess i'll go ahead and change the sensor or swap the sensor from one bank to the other to see if the low voltage follows that sensor.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:01 am

NYPathfinder wrote:I guess i'll go ahead and change the sensor or swap the sensor from one bank to the other to see if the low voltage follows that sensor.
Easier said than done on the Pre-Cat sensors. Unless you have way smaller hands than me. The only way for me to get the pre-cat sensors out was to destroy the connector, its got a push-grommet on it, and its impossible to get the needlenose pliers in there to disengage the gromment... Hope you have better luck than me!

See my writeup here:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=5280

Note that the user "found" also posted a bench test procedure for the sensors. I couldn't get it to work, but to be honest, didn't really try that hard... :)

t

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:11 am

disallow wrote:
NYPathfinder wrote:I guess i'll go ahead and change the sensor or swap the sensor from one bank to the other to see if the low voltage follows that sensor.
Easier said than done on the Pre-Cat sensors. Unless you have way smaller hands than me. The only way for me to get the pre-cat sensors out was to destroy the connector, its got a push-grommet on it, and its impossible to get the needlenose pliers in there to disengage the gromment... Hope you have better luck than me!

See my writeup here:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=5280

Note that the user "found" also posted a bench test procedure for the sensors. I couldn't get it to work, but to be honest, didn't really try that hard... :)

t
I'm 6'5 280. so i doubt my hands will fit in there lol. i guess if its that much of a pain ill do it once and replace it and not have to deal with it again for quite a while. I may give my friend a few buck to do it. He's small and has arms the size of a 12 yr old.. he should fit.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”