05 Path, the good, the bad, the ugly, for me at least.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

sivs

05 Path, the good, the bad, the ugly, for me at least.

Postby sivs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:00 am

Hi all, new to the forum as a member, not as a reader. Felt it was time to start posting my experiences with the 05 Path.
First off, great ride, plenty of power and nice interior room, will go anywhere.
Here's my history with the Path:
  • Bought it used in 2008 with 50k miles.
    Had the commmon EVAP leak issue.
    Previous owner had installed a cheap aftermarket remote starter, bad wiring job messed up the VDC system, had to have that rewired. $400.
    I have the rear a/c so coolant runs all the way to the back, the lines started leaking where they went around the wheel well. $150.
    Started getting this low rumble noise, like the tranny wanted to downshift but wouldn't.
    Bought a service contract.
    October 2009, replaced Radiator, stealership said tranny was good, $1,400.
    December 2009, replaced the transmission control module, $1,600. Picked up from stealership, drove to work, after work ran some errands, lost reverse, took back to stealership all in the same day of picking it up.
    Complete tranny failure. Dec-Jan 09-10, new tranny and radiator ~$5,000.
    April 2010, new front brakes, I did myself, $60 for pads, rotors we're good.
    June 2010, bad thermostat, now trying to avoid stealership at all costs. $150.
    July 2011, Drive by wire sensor went bad, engine would only idle, went to stealership for this, $360, they replaced the ECM relay also.
    August 2011, oil pressure was dropping and the oil light coming on. Took it in, replaced the sensor, all good until it hit 100 degrees outside. Now back at the shop, not stealership, with what appears to be an internal gasket leak only when hotter than normal, causing the oil pressure to drop to around 5 pounds at idle.
My service contract runs out in 10,000 miles, thinking it will be time to look for a replacement and move away from Nissan. But what compares to the Path with room and ability, I've driven this thing up a dirt road in two feet of snow with no issues.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:22 am

I'd say look at another Pathfinder. Possibly a CPO. Mine is a CPO, and I love it. I know of the possible problems that might come up, but doing changes to prevent would save money. The transmission cooler bypass etc.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:47 am

The trans replacement cost you way more than it should have. Too bad you stayed with the dealer. I've heard of rebuilds costing less than $2k. Or if you managed to bypass before it started contaminating, that would be the best.

My truck has the evap leak, haven't dealt with it yet. Just did O2 sensors. Want to install a trans temp gauge, as I'm bypassed and do some towing. Did a couple U-joints and a wheel bearing. AC leaks freon slowly.

Truck has 112k miles on it. As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't expect any more than I'm getting.

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 am

There's really not much out there to pick from without going to a full-size. My '08 seems to be built pretty well, no problems yet crossing 55k miles. Not sure I'd buy another just because I like to change up my vehicles every now and then...probably go to a truck again after this. But there's nothing out there in the SUV world I'd pick over it.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:01 am

Sivs,

hate to hear your experience..I have a 06 Pathfinder with 85k miles on it and it has never given me any trouble. Thanks to this forum, I did do the tranny/radiator bypass and hopefully saved myself alot of money and grief. Did a couple of factory recalls, put in a new battery, new front pads..etc..but thats about it.

My daughter has an 02 Xterra with about the same miles..no problems....I had a Nissan truck and drove it for 175,000k before any problmes came up.

My experience with Nissan has been great. I religously check oil, fluids, look under the cars, etc every weekend and try and catch problems before they occur. I would buy another new one when the time comes. Wish your experience would have been better.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”