Towing

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 pm

CPLTECH wrote:I did a little research myself, but information on this tranny is few and far between..........
thanks CPLTECH
the fuel mileage is what it is..........
i've heard of no transmission failures other than the radiator/coolant/ATF contamination issue...........
it's sometimes interesting to ponder why things were designed the way they were, and perhaps speculate on the reasons
but i think i'd be more concerned about a chunk of space junk falling on me on a lonely rural highway than i would about grief from the design or function of this transmission :shock:
there are no perfect vehicles
the R51 is pretty darn good, though :D
CPLTECH wrote:I was wondering if I should consider trading up to a newer model if shift/TC was modified from the earlier units, hence the question.
i guess if it would enhance your confidence in the truck........... :?

hfrez

Towing above 5000lbs without a Weight Distribution Hitch!

Postby hfrez » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:56 am

[quote="Plngeek"]...Weight wasn't a problem, but what can get to be a problem and what you need to think about when looking at what other folks say they have towed is that a travel trailer is a big box that is taller and wider than the PF, so aerodynamics come in to play more than they would with a boat, or a flatbed with quads etc.
....The key I found to making it more comfortable was to quit chasing a specific speed, and just lock my mind into a specific gear and rpm and just keep to that, whatever speed it was. This saved any unnecessary shifting, and I found it only cost me about 5-10mph going up the hills.

Definitely do not expect great gas mileage (I was averaging around 9mpg when I hooked up), and your range between fillups will be no more than 160-190 miles, but with a good weight distributing hitch and anti-sway gear ( I used the Reese Strait-Line setup), you should be fine at the size/weights you are talking about. Of course if you enjoy the trailer, you may look at moving up in vehicles next time you purchase (I drive an F-150 now), but there is no reason not to go forward with the trailer now if it is something you want to do....quote]

Dido on this. I agree and would like to add that most people do not know if you do not keep within the specs of the manufaturer and you have an accident your Insurance Company may not pay for your damages. So be sure to read your Manual and follow the specifications.

QUESTION: I just bought my PF and need to tow my 5900lbs 25ft Travel Trailer with it. The Pathfinder is one of very few V6 operated SUV's out there that will still tow above 5000lbs. All the Unibodies are rated at 5000lbs. I wanted to know though if towing my trailer with the AirLift 1000 airbags would be fine or if I would really need a Weight Distribution Hitch? Does anyone have any experience on this subject

hfrez

All Good!

Postby hfrez » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 am

Well, I got my answer from another thread on this site. Most who have the AirLift 1000 say they were able to tow but would not recommend it since the trailers have a tendency to become unstable very quickly.

Nissian's instructions say that towing above the 5000lbs mark REQUIRES a Weight Distrubution Hitch. In that case the WDH is a must and the lift kit helps stabilize the trucks rear end and reduces sway. :D

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”