U joint replacement hell!!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

valenburg

U joint replacement hell!!

Postby valenburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:36 pm

So I got up the balls to attempt to change out the u joints on the forward shaft of the pathy and what I nightmare!! Me and a buddy ended up chewing up most of the bolts just trying to get them off, they were rusted that bad. We had a bunch of pb blaster and a propane torch but it took a wee bit more than that. One bolt did it for me though, NOTHING would make it budge. After stripping it to all hell, I just ended up slicing most of the bolt off (left 1mm it it on the threads) and it STILL wouldn't come off so I had to destroy what was left. So I had to order all new nuts and bolts from nissan since they are specialize heads, and it ended up costing 30 bucks. I have been driving around with out the forward shaft in (the military doesn't normally give out floating holidays or sick days) so hopefully I get the parts in tomorrow and can get everything put in and going. As long as I did the u joint install right. Just had to pass my experience to you guys. I still love the truck, just hate the fact that it has been in the salt belt for so long.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Sounds typical. A 1hour job turns into a multiple day job. Glad you finally got them out and now can replace them with new parts.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:53 am

I talked to the mechanics in the base auto hobby shop about doing the rear shaft and they quoted it to be a 2 hour job...for 50 bucks an hour, I may have to swing that route since I already have the parts.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 am

My trucks in same situation. i can't get an alignment because the adjustment concentric bolts are rusted in place in the bushings.

Did you have access to impact tools? Theyve been a lifesave for me.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 am

valenburg wrote:I talked to the mechanics in the base auto hobby shop about doing the rear shaft and they quoted it to be a 2 hour job...for 50 bucks an hour, I may have to swing that route since I already have the parts.
Where are you stationed? You can also rent a bay at most base hobby shops for 2/5 dollars an hour and use all their tools, and most of the mechanics will come out and assist you as well. It would give you the on hands expierence and still save you money.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:36 am

I'm stationed on a navy base in Maine, I used the auto shop on base since I don't have tools/space. It's about 6/hr. I may just do it myself, I am just a bit frustrated with it right now. Coming from florida, I haven't realized the full effects of salt on a drive train lol. Plus FedEx lost the package with my bolts so hopefully the dealership can get them to find them and do a redelivery.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:08 pm

valenburg wrote:I'm stationed on a navy base in Maine, I used the auto shop on base since I don't have tools/space. It's about 6/hr. I may just do it myself, I am just a bit frustrated with it right now. Coming from florida, I haven't realized the full effects of salt on a drive train lol. Plus FedEx lost the package with my bolts so hopefully the dealership can get them to find them and do a redelivery.
Nice, thanks for your service. Sucks that FedEx lost the parts. Hopefully the dealership can order another set and get them shipped fast. Sucks waiting in limbo for parts to arrive and trying to finish your job.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Got the Nuts/bolts today and installed it. Did a drive around base with 4wd engaged and all test SAT. Next is highway, didnt want to do that since it was rush hour getting off base. Hopefully I should be good on this for awhile. Next is the rear joints and new rotors/pads (when I can afford them).

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm

disallow wrote:My trucks in same situation. i can't get an alignment because the adjustment concentric bolts are rusted in place in the bushings.

Did you have access to impact tools? Theyve been a lifesave for me.

t
Mine is the same. They designed these cars like crap and the mechanic that was trying to do my alignment said that only after 2-3 years most Pathys wont be able to be properly aligned.

As for the Ujoints, I had bought new ones right after I bought it and I noticed that they looked like giant rusty blocks holding the shafts togethor and I didnt even bother trying to do them myself.

Good luck!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”