Electric fan installation

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Electric fan installation

Postby Gray » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 am

Just wondering if any have looked at an electric fan installation mod for the 4.0L and if this might give any appreciable fuel economy improvement. The Murano comes with the smaller VQ35 V6 engine but has electric fans, haven't checked comparative rad sizes though. Thanks.

http://etxiow.accpaconline.com/default.cfm

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm

I must be slow on the uptake, but what significant purpose would one of these serve? I'm certainly not an engineer or automotive designer, so I may be dead wrong. But I "think" our stock fans are semi-electric and operate off a thermostically controlled clutch. Assuming I'm correct, engaging the clutch does create an additional drag on engine power and probably has a fractional impact on fuel economy. But, to my unscientific way of thinking, three hundred US beans for their top-o'-the-line fan really pushes the cost/benefit envelope.

If, on the other hand, our fans are strictly belt-driven, never mind . . . :wink:

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:07 pm

I keep it stock unless there is a problem. I've gone to dual electric before, but that was on a high preformance pre-runner Datsun where the original system just couldn't keep up. I didn't see any increase in mileage when I did it.

BTW, my PF has an engine driven fan AND an electric fan. Are the 05-07's like this?

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:09 am

08Datsun wrote:BTW, my PF has an engine driven fan AND an electric fan. Are the 05-07's like this?
Yes - an engine cooling fan (with a drive coupler) and a smaller electric condenser fan.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:40 am

Stick with the thermostatic mechanical fan. By going electric you're likely going to lose efficiency. In converting mechanical power to electric power you'll have conversion losses in your alternator, then more conversion losses when you convert the electric power back to mechanical in the fan's motor (both of which produce heat as the byproduct, defeating the purpose of the cooling fan, ironically).

I personally like the two fan setup--thermostatic fan for normal use, and the electric kicks on only when needed (usually when the vehicle is sitting still). There's some element of redundancy, in case one should fail.

I second SilverGhost's point, you're probably never going to get back the money you spend on the fan, even if it does improve economy.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm

The Frontier guys always saw gains with the electric fan ... I could see 1 MPG or so in doing it , esp down the freeway ... no fan to spin and no need for the electric fan ... I am not sure if it would be worth it as far as $$ goes ... the fans are $$$ and the savings would not be huge ... probably see a couple extra HP also ... when the fans are not running ...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”