Rain Channels - paint flaking

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NoCode

Rain Channels - paint flaking

Postby NoCode » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:17 am

Washed/waxed the Pathfinder yesterday. Noticed the paint on the tall side of the rain channel flaking for first time (only in 1 spot). Knew this was an issue (seen a few threads here), but was holding out hope. It's a 2007 so it's out of warranty.

Other then hitting it w/touchup paint, is there any other tips that you all are doing to address this? I saw a couple guys post they were looking at putting some bedliner material in the channels to protect it, but never saw any follow up.

Thoughts?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 am

Mine don't look to hot either. Most vehicles have some sort of rubber strip up there...I like the idea of coating it with something.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 am

you can try to paint the roof.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 pm

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:you can try to paint the roof.
Hoping not to have to go to that extreme for this one little spot. Plus, if it keeps happening (and it sounds like it will), hoping for a quick repair just to maintain. But thanks for the feedback.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:09 pm

I headed the cracks and peeling off at the pass a year or so ago. Put a layer of clear Acrylic Urethane Elastomeric Sealant in my channels. I forget the manufacturer but other than trapping a bit of dirt I see no issues so far.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Any pictures of the troubled area that you can post?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Rain Channels - paint flaking

Postby NVSteve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:40 am

NoCode wrote: Other then hitting it w/touchup paint, is there any other tips that you all are doing to address this? I saw a couple guys post they were looking at putting some bedliner material in the channels to protect it, but never saw any follow up.
One of those guys was probably me. I've since seen numerous posts on other forums, mostly Xterra related, including pics of bedlined channels. All I can say is I will most definitely be doing this myself. Mine have very minimal flaking so far & can only bee seen when I climb up to wrangle my kayaks. I don't have a picture I can post, but here is a link to one of the Xterra guys:

You can read the whole thread here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42715

NoCode

Re: Rain Channels - paint flaking

Postby NoCode » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 pm

NVSteve wrote:
NoCode wrote: Other then hitting it w/touchup paint, is there any other tips that you all are doing to address this? I saw a couple guys post they were looking at putting some bedliner material in the channels to protect it, but never saw any follow up.
One of those guys was probably me. I've since seen numerous posts on other forums, mostly Xterra related, including pics of bedlined channels. All I can say is I will most definitely be doing this myself. Mine have very minimal flaking so far & can only bee seen when I climb up to wrangle my kayaks. I don't have a picture I can post, but here is a link to one of the Xterra guys:

You can read the whole thread here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42715
Wow, that looks awesome. I've got to look into that. Mine has the cracking at the lower edge of the inside channel nearly all the way down. Man this sucks.

Wonder how hard painting w/bedliner is? Thanks for sharing.

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 am

Hey, I have the same problem. I went to a body shop and I researched it into it. it seems that area is a seperate panel and is connected to the rest of the body using "seam sealer" and then painted over. the seam sealer expands and contracts and causes the paint to peel and crack. the owest quote I got was like 400 dollars for just the channels and 700 for the whole roof but they also said that it would happen again most likely.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”