First tow with V8...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Billy T.

First tow with V8...

Postby Billy T. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:56 am

Not the first time I have had tyhe trailer hooked up, but it is the first time I have pulled anything any significant distance.

First off, power is a non issue. Plenty of power. I wouldn'y hesitate to put this thing up against my buddies 6 liter PSD with the trailers hooked up.

Second, and the thing I was most interested in is milage. Unloaded, with about a 2200 pound trailer, I averaged 13.2 mpg as indicated by the trip computer. This included having to stop at 4 toll booths, and covered a distance of about 50 miles. On the way back, I was carrying a 3000 pound car on the same trailer and averaged right at 12 mpg as indicated by the trip computer. I was running about 70-75mph(yes with trailer brakes and yes, lots of miles with a trailer) Also using a WD hitch.

So I 'm pretty happy with the towing ability of this thing. Gas milage is great, would still like a bigger tank, though. My last tow rig was a 99 Chevy Crew Cab dually with the 454, and it got 10 mpg unloaded and 8 witht he trailer, so you can see where my satisfaction comes from :)

On a side note, all of my computations from milage and gallons used have actually come in a little bit higher than what is indicated on the computer.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Being able to park in any normal parking lot or fitting though a drive-through are other bonus' over the Chevy, I'm sure.

I test drove the V8 before we bought and it really is awesome. The V6 is good but the V8 is really in a class by itself.

How was the stability with that sort of load?

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:06 pm

the weight distributing hitch took care of the soft rear suspension, so that was a non issue. We did have 25mph gusts yesterday, and they were crosswinds for me, so it was a little tiresome, but when the wind was calm, everything was smooth...

And yeah, parking this thing is a dream compared to the dually.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Billy T. wrote:the weight distributing hitch took care of the soft rear suspension, so that was a non issue. We did have 25mph gusts yesterday, and they were crosswinds for me, so it was a little tiresome, but when the wind was calm, everything was smooth...

And yeah, parking this thing is a dream compared to the dually.
Just for kicks, you should head over to PCOA.org.au/forum and read through some of the wild posts about the hitch mount assembly. Apparently, there have been some major issues with those things in Oz. I have yet to see anything like that on the US forums, so it may be strictly a Spanish build thing.

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Lots to read on there, so they may have covered this already...

But this:

Is not the same hitch that is on mine. This thing just bolts to the bumper rebar, where as the one on mine, and probably yours, bolts to the frame rails like a normal receiver.

Not surprised to see something like that break, especially if they guy was using a wd hitch.

Billy T.

Postby Billy T. » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Also, for you guys that are thinking about getting one, the WD hitch that Nissan sells looks to be the same one that got. Http://www.discounthitches.com/ . They sell it for 159 on the site, but it weighs a lot, so expect to spend about 250 with shipping. Rated for 1000 tongue, 10000 trailer.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”