Winshield noise after replacement

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

deermjd

Winshield noise after replacement

Postby deermjd » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 pm

I had my winshield replaced a while back and ever since it has been noticeably more noisy. It's hard to notice when the radio is on, but its kinda annoying when I have the radio off. I would compare the noise to having a window rolled down just a tad. I took my Pathfinder to the shop that replaced the windshield. They claimed to have added some extra sealant but the noise hasn't changed. I've noticed that if i push outward at the top of the winshield near the rearview mirror the noise almost goes away. Has anybody had their windshield replaced and experienced a similar problem? Any tips on how to reduce this noise?

Npath

Re: Winshield noise after replacement

Postby Npath » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

deermjd wrote:I had my winshield replaced a while back and ever since it has been noticeably more noisy. It's hard to notice when the radio is on, but its kinda annoying when I have the radio off. I would compare the noise to having a window rolled down just a tad. I took my Pathfinder to the shop that replaced the windshield. They claimed to have added some extra sealant but the noise hasn't changed. I've noticed that if i push outward at the top of the winshield near the rearview mirror the noise almost goes away. Has anybody had their windshield replaced and experienced a similar problem? Any tips on how to reduce this noise?
I've had water leaks on the window frame of my Jeep CJ7. What you could do is get a can of windex or equivalent that comes out foamy. Spray it on the outer seal of the windshield and use compressed air to inside. Don't spray the entire seal, spray the area where you're ready to use compressed air. The canned air may not work, but from a compressor it'll do the job.

If you or your partner see foam displace from the compressed air being applied on the inside, you'll find your problem.

But if you have a smoke bomb, close all windows and doors tight and you'll find every leak. ;) hehehe

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for the tip! Any pics of the cj?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Now that I've confirmed the location of the leak what's the best way to seal it? From the inside or the outside?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:42 pm

deermjd wrote:Now that I've confirmed the location of the leak what's the best way to seal it? From the inside or the outside?
where is the leak & where can you access it from?
is it possible that maybe the shop that installed it for you might help with the repair?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Its at the top center of the windshield near the rearview mirror. I've already took it back once and the shop claimed to have sealed it. It's been several months since the windshield was replaced. I haven't noticed any water leaking through the windshield. Just trying to see if there is any way to remedy this myself.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:52 pm

You can buy window sealer at any auto parts store. I'd seal from the outside.

Brokentoy1

Postby Brokentoy1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Leaks and wind noise do not just develop. Your windshield was not installed properly. I would take it back and have it fixed properly. Smearing the urethane on it is not the correct way.

Npath

Postby Npath » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 am

deermjd wrote:Its at the top center of the windshield near the rearview mirror. I've already took it back once and the shop claimed to have sealed it. It's been several months since the windshield was replaced. I haven't noticed any water leaking through the windshield. Just trying to see if there is any way to remedy this myself.
LOL that's awesome! You found your leak.

I'd take it back to them and prove that it was installed incorrectly and would like it done again.

If you hear wind noise, water will seep in and eventually cause corrosion. I've got pics somewhere but I've never figured out how to post pics.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get the shop to fix it right this time. I already took it back once complaining about the noise but I wasn't sure where it was coming from. Whatever they did to fix it obviously didn't work. This is exactly why I do all the work I can on my cars. Less chance of someone not doing something right.

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Make sure you get some decent glass. They are not all made equal, and some jobber glass has weird curvature and optical distorsion at acute angles. Make sure it's "AS-#" and "DOT"

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:25 pm

deermjd,
If your insurance company paid for the damaged glass repair, they could have some pull with the installer. Also, hopefully the glass company is a larger repair shop with something to lose if the insurance company pulls them from other installation jobs, good luck.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Make sure you get some decent glass. They are not all made equal, and some jobber glass has weird curvature and optical distorsion at acute angles. Make sure it's "AS-#" and "DOT"
The replacement glass has the "AS-" and "DOT" markings.
If your insurance company paid for the damaged glass repair, they could have some pull with the installer. Also, hopefully the glass company is a larger repair shop with something to lose if the insurance company pulls them from other installation jobs, good luck.
My insurance was not used since the cost of winshield replacement was less than my deductible.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I will take it back to the shop and let you know how it goes.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”