Will I be underpowered pulling a 5600lbs (loaded) trailer?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

Will I be underpowered pulling a 5600lbs (loaded) trailer?

Postby Cracker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 pm

I have an '05 4x4 with 96K miles. I have airlift 1000s and two sets of airshocks on the rear (a pair on each side). I have not done the tranny mode. I have read over over this thread:
http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=65&start=0 which has good information. The nuts and bolts of it is really will the Pathfinder be underpowered and too close to maximums in pulling a 4400 dry/5600 loaded 19ft toyhauler? Tongue weight of the trailer will be around 700lbs. I'll use a WDH hitch but that won't change the physics that there will be 700lbs bearing down on my hitch, 100lbs more than the max. Some believe that a WDH will do otherwise but the WDH will only move the weight (as it goes from the wheels to the gournd) to the font axle and trailer axles. This is proven here: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 265335.cfm
So should I be looking at a full-size SUV to pull this loaded toyhauler or is the Pathfinder up for the task? I live in San Diego. There will be an annual trip to Mammoth Lakes (8,000 ft), otherwise it will be relatively flat traveling.

Thanks,
--David

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:22 am

can't answer the towing question, but at your trucks age & mileage (beyond the warranty extension for the radiator), you are taking a huge chance of transmission failure if your radiator fails :o

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:30 pm

First, like EIEIO said, you are way overdue for radiator failure, so get it replaced, like yesterday. Mine ran me $350 installed by a local shop. Also the radiator helps keep the trans cool.

Personal opinion here, but I think it is way too much weight to climb those mountains. I have a 3,000# camper and towing it once has made me think twice about hills. When I was climbing some hills around Pittsburg, PA in 3rd, the engine temp rose. When I plan to go to Florida in the near future, I plan to go around Jellico Mtn (I75 at the KY-TN border) instead of over. To keep down the frontal area of wind resistance, drive closer to 55MPH. Another issue that I complain about is that 4th gear will not allow the torq converter lock-up (3rd & 5th does). Think of the heat generated. The best explanation so far has been some videos of the type of trans in our PF. From my layman’s view, we have two clutches, one for the odd gears, and one for the even gears. The odd gears are given the outer, larger clutch pack, hence more rugged(?). The inner clutch pack for 4th is wimpy(?). That is what I got out of the following two videos. Please, someone, correct my thinking if not entirely correct.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clut ... ission.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOciX6kdexE

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:29 am

My boat weighs 4500 and I think it is borderline. I only tow short distances so I have not worried about it but even then I feel the brakes are one of the weaknesses. Also on hilly terrain it is tough to get over 40MPH

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:18 am

Some of the other posts here ring true. Really, your evaluation of whether the performance is acceptable will be based on your expectations. I pull a fairly large TT, (4500lbs dry, 5500lbs loaded) on pretty flat land, usually not farther than 100mi. I pull with the same truck you do, an 05 SE 4x4. I find the performance acceptable. but I don't expet to win any races.

In regards to pulling on hills, with a by-passed trans cooler, I would want to know what temps the tranny is up against. An auxiliary cooler is probably wise. I don't have an auxiliary cooler, but don't pull on hills at all. Have never had an overheat issue.

I'd be more concerned about stopping. A properly calibrated trailer braking system is essential. If you have that, I'd probably do it.

Just to be sure, though, you may want to visit a weigh station. TT manufacturers are notorious optimists when it comes to weight.

t

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I pulled a friends toyhauler tonight. He claims it weighs 3500lbs dry. I did not get out on a highway but he the road he lives on has a sizeable hill. With it floored it did not get over 40 mph going up the hill. Flat ground was OK. Braking could be an issue though. I think the long and short of it for me is to forgo getting a toyhauler or get a larger vehicle that is better equipped for towing on non-flat ground. It was a worthwhile experiment.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Cracker wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. I pulled a friends toyhauler tonight. He claims it weighs 3500lbs dry. I did not get out on a highway but he the road he lives on has a sizeable hill. With it floored it did not get over 40 mph going up the hill. Flat ground was OK. Braking could be an issue though. I think the long and short of it for me is to forgo getting a toyhauler or get a larger vehicle that is better equipped for towing on non-flat ground. It was a worthwhile experiment.
I pull a boat that is a hair under 5000lbs, an ATV trailer that is about 2500-3000lbs depending how it is loaded, and a party/tailgate trailer that is 1200lbs loaded.

I think you will be underpowered at 5600lbs and would not consider this a good, long term setup.

I would venture that you had way more than 3500lbs behind you with your test rig though. With the boat I can maintain 70+ on big eastern Kentucky hills without too much effort.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:36 am

Accelerating up a hill like your friends and maintain speed on the highway is quite different. I have some hills around here that tax my diesel yet on the highway I rarely loose steam. Something about Newtons 2nd law :lol:

It all depends on what your expectations are. If you want to pull 5,600 # and not even know it's back there...there's not much you can pick from short of a diesel or monster gasser that will do that. If you're willing to take your time and not get worked up about slowing down on the hills you can surely make do with the PF. I've pulled with 5.3 Tahoe, 4.8L/5.3L Silverados, 5.4L F-150, Hemi Ram, 4.7L Tundra, V10 F-250, and more diesels than I can count. No the PF won't out-pull any of those but it's surprising how taxed all of the gassers feel with loads on.

For the size, the PF has quite impressive towing performance and honestly the difference between those much bigger trucks isn't that great. If I needed to pull 5,000# every now and then it would be a hard sell to get me to upgrade. If I was towing often and for long distances that would be another story, but the PF gets by quite well for what it is.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”