Just bought an 08 5.6...Any suggestions. Real dissapointed

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

Just bought an 08 5.6...Any suggestions. Real dissapointed

Postby Clay350 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Hey Guys,

I am a new pathfinder owner. I have admired these vehicles for years and needed a replacement for my 02 ford explorer V8. Ill be honest the main reason I got this car was because it had the most torque out of any mid size SUV I was willing to get.

The thing I am dissapointed in is the tranny. Why in the world is 4th and 5th gear so tall on this vehicle? This car should launch on the highway when you push the gas. Instead it just instantly downshifts instead of just using the torque to accelerate. Does anyone know of modifications or adjustments for the shift pattern in 4th and 5th gears? Has anyone ever tried changing ratios? Honestly 75mph at 2K rpm is ridiculous even for the 5.6 engine. I have had diesels that are not geared that high. Any insight would be appreciated. I am hoping I get my issues resolved and have a long relationship with my new workhorse.

Clay

perpetual

Postby perpetual » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 pm

I have the same exact truck... a 2008 LE with the 5.6 Liter V8. I personally like the taller gears on 4th and 5th; I haven't experienced the downshifts like you describe when I'm cruising at a higher gear - unless you mean flooring the gas every time - then I get what you're saying. If I'm passing at let's say 50 mph or so, I just step on the gas a bit firmer and let the engine torque do all the work.

Mine cruises right around 1400-1500 rpm's at 60 mph... I don't think many mid-size SUV's are capable of doing that and I personally find it a huge plus when considering fuel economy. I think the 5.6 liter equipped Pathfinders have the perfect blend of torque output/economy. I average around 15.9-16.5 mpg's in mixed suburban driving

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm not sure I'm following you....you want to accelerate quickly at highway speeds but don't want the tranny to downshift? Keep in mind most anything with a 5,6,7,8 speed transmission has taller upper gears for maximum fuel mileage. The point is they downshift quickly out of that tall gear when you need acceleration. I've been quite impressed how well the PF stays in 5th gear on hills and such. The V6 however it's geared a little lower....80mph is 2,500rpm. My wife's Ody is six speed and it downshifts constantly just to maintain speed because 6th is so tall.

To answer your questions, the only way you could change the revs is to re-gear. I think you'll get used to it. You might try resetting the tranny as it learns your driving style and may be in "aggressive" mode depending on the prior owner. I believe if you pull the battery for awhile it will reset. If you tend to drive easier it will adjust some and won't downshift as quickly on lighter throttle inputs.

Keep in mind many older 4-speeds like the Explorer you're used to was basically designed to stay in OD as much as possible. Helped with gas mileage but pretty disappointing when you hit the go-pedal and wait on the tranny to coax its way out of OD>

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:48 pm

I bought this car because i enjoy and appreciate big engine torque that is becoming rare these days. I dont like the fact that i have 388 lb ft and yet have to always downshift when i need a little more speed on the highway. And trust me its not like im punching the throttle i know how to drive.

My 02 explorer v8 was a 5 speed. Rarely would it ever need to downshift on the highway in 5th and i averaged 20mpg on highway. My pathfinder v8 downshifts all the time in 4th and 5th gear with very little throttle input. I will have to get used to i guess. 

You do bring up a good point about resetting the computer. I do think the previous owner had a heavy foot. I will look into it. Regardless the gear ratios in 4th and 5th gear do negate some of the advantages of the 5.6. Ya if i had a 7 speed tranny i wouldn't mind some real tall gears. But in the pathfinder 4th and 5th are both similar tall ratios with 3rd gear being not realistic on the highway.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 am

I have an 08 V8 but have not noticed this situation/problem. I'll test it out this weekend as I go on my holiday trip, but I don't recall it having to down shift all the time. Good food for thought, and I'll get back to you.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I was paying a little more attention to this today. I can make mine downshift easily at highway speeds if I push the pedal quickly, even if not pushing very far. So if you quickly give it 1/4 pedal it will downshift. If I ease into the pedal I can go pretty deep without it downshifting. So you might try going a little lighter on the pedal in terms of how quickly you depress. Mine is going to be programmed for agressive driving because I regularly flog this thing on my commute (two lane, hilly back roads).

The V6 is geared a little lower. 2,000 rpm is around 67mph and 2,500 rpm is 82mph, but the V8 should be putting

I test drove both V6 and V8 extensively before I bought and I never really noticed any shifting issues with normal highway driving. I thought they both were very good performers particularly at passing speed which is very important to me.

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:49 pm

I have an 08 SE, 4 ltr 6, but the trans is a 4 speed w/ lockup torque converter. Are you guys calling the torque converter 5th gear, or does the 5.6 V-8 have 5 gears and a converter lock-up????

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Both V8 and V6 have identical 5-speed automatics. I belive it's also the same transmission used in Titan/Armada. I believe the TC locks up in both 4th and 5th gears.

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I see no indication that the tranny is a 5 speed unit, only 4 speeds plus lock up....the shifter only has 4 positions and I feel when the converter locks.
Seems and feels like a 4 speed.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:38 pm

For starters, it's a five speed because Nissan says it is. Second it has five gears that it shifts through even though you can only manually row through four of them. I can clearly feel them running through. Shifting over to auto will upshift it to fifth. Gear ratios from first through fifth respectively: 3.84, 2.35, 1.53, 1.00, 0.83 with a 3.13 axle ratio on the V6. The V8 is the same but has an axle ratio of 2.93

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Well, that is great news, I thought it was supposed to be
a 5 speed auto, since I bought it used, and saw the 4 positions, I thought I was mistaken about the trans. Thanks for the clarification.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:14 am

Correction, you can shift into 5th manually. I've never tried it before but it works.

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:23 am

Now I'm curious, how do you shift into 5th manually?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 am

If you flip it to manual mode, the gear you're in displays in the dash. You can then flip it through the gears however you want, although it won't over-rev on you. I use it when passing someone in tight quarters but normally don't ever manually upshift, I just slap it back to auto once I'm through the pass.

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:15 am

See, now I'm really confused, I have no manual mode.
Just a "t" shifter with a small button on the left side of the shaft below
the button that unlocks the shifter so it can move that turns off the overdrive.. Did I buy an S that has SE badges on it?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”