Brake Upgrade

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Brake Upgrade

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:40 am

OK I'm not going for anything wild but now that the vehicle is pushing 50k; I've gone with bigger and heavier tires than stock, gotten a suspension in order to comply with that, and frankly I'm mystified that brakes on a 4800lb-ish have lasted me this long. I'm thinking Power Slots perhaps for an upgrade over the OEM rotor (already had the fronts turned twice...Nissan FMY) and Hawk Pads. If I do decide to go the extra mile of SS lines... well have to check with Stillen to see if they are OME compatible...

Any who I'd like to see what yous other guys think/have in mind for yours?

Afterthought: any of you adjust the parking brake? haven't had a chance to stick my head under and check that out.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:37 pm

I've been thinking about just going with more agressive pads (my preference is the Porterfield R4-S), a flush with good brake fluid (Motul 600) and SS lines. Stillen I think does have a real brake upgrade available, not sure what it costs though.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:49 am

What advantage is there to going with another brake fluid?

$1867 for the AP brake upgrade kit
$120 for the stainless lines from Stillen
I noticed the price is no longer listed for the supercharger.
(how ya feeling about that SC by the way?)
I'm group buy happy tonight I think we could get enough folks to go with the SS lines?

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 am

I'm in for the SS lines. :)

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:40 am

Um been doing a little searching can't find anything other than Stillen , EBC and OEM pads, what gives.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 am

Not really any real reason for the fluid, beyond if I'm going to flush the system when putting on SS lines then I'm going to use good fluid with a high boiling point.

Porterfield doesn't list R4-S pads for 2005, just 2004, but might be worth a phone call though to check. I personally won't be upgrading until I wear out the OEM pads, which is seeming to take quite a while :D

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:36 pm

I ran Hawk HPS on my '01 Frontier CC SC .... they were miles better than the other 3 sets of pads I had used ( stock, Akebono Ceramic , Akebono PRO ACT Ceramic ) .... Ill be running them on my Path once it needs brakes .....

I also run Hawks on all my other cars ....Love them ...

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 pm

NA I was on Hawks website and they had nothing for the F Alpha midsizers, only the Titan and Armada... I have EBC's on my WR but depending on the compound I can burn em up in a month.

Anyone else have to have their rotors turned? Twice in the first 30k... They have been fine since but thats enough for me to lose faith and want to upgrade...

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:47 am

Porterfield Brakes does show aftermarket rotors for the 05 Path if you want to ditch OEM. It did just dawn on me this morning that my brakes are squealing lately, hmmmm, need to check my pads...

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:46 am

Fofiddy wrote:NA I was on Hawks website and they had nothing for the F Alpha midsizers, only the Titan and Armada... I have EBC's on my WR but depending on the compound I can burn em up in a month.

Anyone else have to have their rotors turned? Twice in the first 30k... They have been fine since but thats enough for me to lose faith and want to upgrade...
Ahh, I guess your right ... Dang ... Hopefully they will have something soon , or we will have to push them to .... I have run EBC's on a few other vehicles, never liked them .... We just hit 20K and have had no issues with rotors as of yet .... But yea, if they have been turned twice , its time for new rotors , turning them only makes them warp faster ...

cvsir7turbo

Postby cvsir7turbo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:25 am

you might want to look at iROTORS XDS. They run about $165 for a pair.

Phone: 951-736-9211
Fax: 951-736-9212
Toll-Free: 888-8ROTORS

I know they sell brakes as well but i think i would stick with the nissan oem if they lasted you 50,000 miles.

iRotors sells on ebay if you wanna check out the products online.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 am

I was satisfied with the brakeing on the Path with the general OEM (non offroad pkg) 30.5"(S/XE)/30.6"(SE/LE) tire diameter. Ever since I've upgraded to taller heavier tires I'm, well, less satisfied. I'm thinking once I have my OME setup in ( hopefully Friday pending the aquisition of a BRN 7400) the Path could actually handle the tires and some better binders. Then again suspension is an integral part of brake performance.

Part of my first turning was due to a defect in one of my pads, now that I think of it one set may have been replaced the first brake service I had done. Anyone adjust thier parking brake yet?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”