What mods can I do that wont void warranty

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

What mods can I do that wont void warranty

Postby Clay350 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm

I want to start modding my pathfinder but am scared to death that the dealer will use that as an excuse when something breaks. I have the extended full warranty until 120K miles. Do you think I am ok as long as I don't mod the specfic part in question? For instance if I do a high performance intake and then have engine trouble do you think the dealer will try and screw me?

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm

The onus is on the dealer to prove the non OEM parts caused the problem. Go speak with your local dealers and get a feel for how they react to mods. In my area there are some that will do anything to get out of a warrenty and others that will work with you and like the enthusiasm and culture brought on by the aftermarket world.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:33 pm

What mileage are you at now? I really don't think you will be using that warranty on the engine. Most of the problems with this generation pathfinder aren't engine related. A quick search on this forum will let you see what the most common problems are. I guess my point is, if you want to add an intake or some other mod go ahead and do it now and get the most use out of it instead of waiting til the warranty expires later on.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 am

completely depends on how nice the guy at the service center is, and how well you are mechanically inclined. if you can argue that whatever broke down isnt related to your mod, you should be fine.

i had a KN air filter installed 2 months after i bought the pathy brand new, and they tried to void my warranty every single time i did a service.

long story short, i had over $18,000 worth of warranty repairs on the pathfinder by the time the warranty expired, ALL with the filter installed.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:09 am

As mentioned above, they have to prove it caused the damage in order to void a warranty. Now that doesn't mean you wouldn't have a legal battle on your hands....

I've held off doing the tranny cooler mod for this reason. I think they would have a pretty good argument considering they've acknowledged the problem but haven't recommended the same (easy) fix in lieu of replacing transmissions/radiators.

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:14 pm

When I personally see claims, I don't care if it's aftermarket or not, if something is butchered or modified to fit poorly than clearly no warranty, if it's and over-oiled K&N causing MAF code - no warranty. If that MAF causes misfire and kills a cat - no again. WHAT I WILL say, is that if you've been a regular customer and not a first time walk-in, spouting off about how I OWE you this repair, I would over-look alot, repair it, hand you back your mod parts and tell you the next time is at your own risk. I feel like most dealerships operate similarly - The problem is that alot of dealer techs aren't into mods and want to go back to all factory parts that correlate with the ESM before doing any work. Truth be told you could always un-mod before you bring your truck in. NISMO offers lots of mod parts with factory compliance. Expensive, but nice and NO warranty issues.

Long story short - Go for it! Have fun....but maybe keep a relationship with where ever you're taking it in. Bring a box of popsicles in the summer for the guys, or some extra Xmas chocolates - the discount they give will prob pay for it anyway - my guys love that.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”