OEM front rotor alternative

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

twinblown

OEM front rotor alternative

Postby twinblown » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 am

Guys, is anyone using front rotors priced under stock OEM?
how have they been so far?...I am looking at these four priced around $50 from Rock Auto.
Bendix
Beck/Arnley
Raybestos
Wagner
looking for input or reviews and to save almost 50% compared to the OEM.
or maybe I should just take my rotors and have them turned?
Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 pm

There definetly IS great quality (and MUCH better than OEM) Brakes, but that is the one thing i won't experiment with- OEM brakes without a doubt.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 am

At one point or another I've used all of the above. I've never had an issue with the rotors. As a rule I would not seek out "cheap" brake parts, less expensive maybe... I would regard those brands as OK!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I've used a set of Wagner front rotors on an 08 Pathy. Purchased front and rear sets of Akebono Ceramic brake pads from Rockauto.com. Brakes like it did brand new!

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 pm

I agree, all of those are reliable brands.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Both Wagner and Raybestos are reputable brands. But both brands have economy, premium and Heavy duty options. I guess it comes down to what you need to get our of your brakes. If you are trying to get most miles, Raybestos Heavy Duty rotors are a good choice - they are often used on fleet vehicles, police cars, etc. due to very hard metal compound, which makes them wear longer. Hard metal has its disadvanteges, however - it makes them heat up more and they are more proned to warping under constant heavy use. Raybestos units are also painted and will not rust. They are more expensive, generally, at least as compared to Wagners. Wagner premium rotors are a little softer and therefore do not heat up as much (less warping issues), but will wear out a tad quicker.
Whatever you get, do not get economy versions of these brands.
I was looking to replace brakes and was considering both brands, but ended up going with Wagner premium rotors and pads.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”