Independent Fog Lights??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

GK1707

Independent Fog Lights??

Postby GK1707 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Is there anyway to wire the fog lights on the R51 to run independently? I know this has been asked at least a thousand times and ive searched all over google and the forums but haven't found anything for the 05 R51, only older pathfinders.

I know for my RX8 all I had to do was find the fog light wire under the fuse box cut it and use a quick splice connector to tap into an accessory wire. Now i can run the fogs whenever the key is on ACC, independent of the headlights or city lights. I wanted to know if anyone knows what wires to cut and splice for the pathfinder?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:32 pm

mine already are independent from the factory... turns off and on on the turn signal switch.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm sure he means independent of the headlights being on. I need to figure this out as well once I convert them to HID. Should be excellent for fog/snow and not have the headlights blinding me.

GK1707

Postby GK1707 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Yeah I meant Independent as in being able to turn on the fog lights alone without the headlights. So they can be used as DRL or just an accessory for looks with HIDs.

alloutz79

Postby alloutz79 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:27 pm

that would be a nice mod! I'd like to do that too!! LMK

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 pm

You ask and you shall receive...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I use them all the time with no problems.
The mod takes about 10-15 mins once you have all the stuff!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 am

Touchdown wrote:You ask and you shall receive...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I use them all the time with no problems.
The mod takes about 10-15 mins once you have all the stuff!
Thanks for the info. You mentioned in your write-up the possibility of a relay to allow the fogs to be turned off as well. Any idea the best way to hook that up? I haven't had a chance to really look at the wiring diagrams but I don't want to run the fogs all the time. I would like to upgrade to HID to get a lot more light from the fogs and then be able to run them with just the parking lights.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:44 am

You could wire in a relay in between the cross over wire. In other words, both sides would terminate at the relay and then run a wire back to the cabin to a toggle switch which would turn them on and off. Of course you'd have to have power and ground as well.
Just like a set of fog lights you'd buy and install yourself.

I think it'd be way too much trouble to try and trace the wiring from the switch on the steering column.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 am

Touchdown wrote:
I think it'd be way too much trouble to try and trace the wiring from the switch on the steering column.
I think I would prefer that though. I already have one toggle switch for my driving lights mounted in the grille...but they're wired to fire with the high-beams. I think if I'm going to go with a totally separate switch I might as well just re-wire the entire thing and may just install better lights. I'm not sure these will do what I want even with the HID. They're pretty lame in OEM form. I drive a lot of foggy and snowy roads and could really benefit from killing the main headlights. I'm slowly getting this vehicle setup how I want it....another 100k and it'll be perfect!! :lol:

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:50 am

What...only 100k? Don't sell yourself short!! Lol

Sounds like a cool project! Good luck!
Post some pics if you can.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey skinny, do you have a write up for your driving lights that you have wired in with the high beams? I've been looking to do add both driving lights to run with highs and fog lights to run with lows. This thread has got me covered with a good idea for wiring up the lows. All I need now is a write up for the highs.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:37 am

SimulatedZero wrote:Hey skinny, do you have a write up for your driving lights that you have wired in with the high beams? I've been looking to do add both driving lights to run with highs and fog lights to run with lows. This thread has got me covered with a good idea for wiring up the lows. All I need now is a write up for the highs.
I never did a full write-up on the driving lights....but basically I just tapped the high beam wire on the drivers side to power the control box for the aux lights. It's wired to a switch in the cabin so I can turn them off if necessary (like during a safety inspection or if a cop gets nosey). I believe this was covered in the install manual that came with them, you could google "hella wiring diagrams" to see it more clearly. Good luck. Best mod I've done....maybe next to the airbags.

ncpath2005

Turn signal/Stalk issue

Postby ncpath2005 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:05 pm

OK, i just bought the lamp kit but apparently the turn signal stalk only fits the 2010 and beyond. I have a 2005 pathy. Here are my ideas:

1. Is there any way i can retrofit this thing?
2. Can I separate the stalk from one mechanism and put it on the other? It has two screws at the base of it, so it looks like it must come off.
3. If I simply install the fog lamps, will they automatically come on with the headlights (not interested in running headlights separate) if i don't put on the new stalk?

Thanks y'all!

Kevin

mypath

Postby mypath » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 am

Very nice good to now :P

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”