Oh boy, Here we go again...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

dared3vil00

Oh boy, Here we go again...

Postby dared3vil00 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

...ANOTHER problem with my beloved pathy... Went skiing today (was only about -1) and after we walk back to the truck, i unlock the doors, Pull on the handle and get in. I go to shut my door and it just thuds against the latch and won't close. I can move the latch fine with my fingers, just something is wrong and it will not latch shut. Ended up driving home (2 hours) in the snow holding my door shut AND trying to drive, operate the wipers, signals etc with the other hand. (wasn't fun if you are curious) I get home, park it in the garage and give it time to unfreeze and same problem. Any ideas?

EDIT: just went to get in, same thing happened except the pin is still intact, door is frozen open and i cannot move the latch to fix it until it defrosts. Last night i used penetrating oil, sylicone grease etc on it. I guess it didn't work. Any ideas from here?
Last edited by dared3vil00 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 am

Turns out the metal pin the plastic latch rotates around had somehow (?????)
sheared off so the latch itself was just sort of sitting there. Literally the first drawer I open in my metal parts cabinet has a pin that (i shit you not) was the exact same diameter, all it took was a snip and a sand and it is working perfectly. I'd imagine it will still freeze however, Anyone have any idea how to stop this from happening again? I've tried lock de icer and silicon lube in the past for stuck doors, it didn't seem to help.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 am

Perhaps some penetrating oil or other lubricating treatment would help.

I have an issue with the front door of my house, the new $160 keypad deadbolt I installed in the new door doesn't like the cold either. I opened it up and gave it a good dose. Its all about removing the moisture, if there is no water, then it can't freeze.

Have not had any issues with the pathfinder doors in cold weather, or even in wild temp swings (we've had many this year).

Awesome on finding that pin in your garage. Same thing happens to me all the time, we bought a house that had been repossessed about 6 years ago, and I still find treasures in the garage all the time.

t

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 am

Yeah it's always nice to find a part that probably would of been atleast 50 bucks from a deale

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 pm

EDIT: just went to get in, same thing happened except the pin is still intact, door is frozen open and i cannot move the latch to fix it until it defrosts. Last night i used penetrating oil, sylicone grease etc on it. I guess it didn't work. Any ideas from here?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 am

Almost sounds like a worn component. You may have to pull the interior of the door off to see whats going on.

Is it possible that the alignment of the door latch and retainer have been knocked out? I had this issue on my 98 honda one winter, and a readjustment fixed it.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:19 am

Yeah, Im thinking taking it apart is the next logical step, which will have to wait a few days anyhow but seems necessary

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 am

You've probably had enough of them, but this is the type of problem that I would take to the dealer or a body shop to at least get an idea of what component is busted. Then you can take it home and do it yourself! :)

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Not a bad idea, and yeah the trucks had more than it's share if problems. although I do like the dealer diagnosis. I think one of the local ones offers free diagnosis if they vehicle was originally purchased from them, And i think it is (i bought is used) but i will have to double check, thanks for the idea

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”