05 path at 72,000 miles

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

05 path at 72,000 miles

Postby mtbpath » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 pm

I've been reading up on previous post on the transmission/fluid thing.
as I approach the 80K mark, I've been concerned for my transmission.
I had some big repairs done last year such as the timing chain. warranty covered that.
but ever since that point, I've been concerned for the car. gas mileage dropped 2-3 miles and haven't been the same. around 2000 rpm & there is a strange vibration type shake. I can feel this strange vibration while reving or moving. I can duplicate at 2K rpm. I told the dealer, they couldn't figure it out, said its normal or my after market exhaust.
I have not done the bypass.
I've been checking my radiator to see if I see anything contamination. Just recently I noticed the level was down and I had to fill it up. I thought I was a bit much since I don't have a visible leak anywhere.
what are things I should do now before the car hits 80K and out of warranty?
have them do a transmission flush to inspect?
any suggestion will be helpful.
Thanks in advance. If anyone is the So. Cal area wants to check out my car and take it for a test drive, your welcome to and see what I'm referring to.

martyf250

Postby martyf250 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:36 am

Check the dipstick/ drain just a small bit form the tranny pan. Check for the strawberry milkshake.

At what mileage did your timing chain fail? Mine has an needs to be replaced but i have 80K miles now on my 05 and am having a hard time bringing it to the dealer because it clearly should be recalled issue

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:42 am

Can you elaborate more on the vibration? If it does it while in park that eliminates everything but the engine. Does it do it all the time or off and on? That reminds me, I had my timing chain also replaced under warranty. Shortly after it was replaced I noticed a vibration in my engine. I took it back to the dealer and they found the harmonic balancer wasn't properly torqued when it was installed after the timing chain was replaced.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

After they made the repairs to the secondary timing chain I noticed the vibration right away. I took it back and had them check it. They spoke with the mechanic who worked on my car to make sure things were done right. Of course he is going to say yes. I even made a mechanic drive the car with me in it. He felt it but couldn't say what it could be. They later just said its normal and other pathfinders has the vibration at that rpm.
I feel they were wrong.
I like to go back and have their shop manager drive it and show me in other pathfinders the same vibration.
I don't believe it's exhaust or the cold air intake.
The vibration can be felt at 2000 rpm while parked or in gear and driving.
How do I know that they could be lying and avoid to help me.
I really don't want to pay for their wrong doing but how can I get them to do the labor part for free because I suspect something is wrong.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 pm

mtbpath wrote:How do I know that they could be lying and avoid to help me.
you really can't know
mtbpath wrote:I really don't want to pay for their wrong doing but how can I get them to do the labor part for free because I suspect something is wrong.
you can't really make them
they have to agree to
they don't have to do anything for free unless they acknowledge that they are willing to do so, either by admitting that they made a mistake or by your proving to them that they made a mistake
the problem with these kind of problems is that until the specific problem is found, noboby can say for sure who is responsible for it
as the old saying goes: "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" (after this, therefore because of this)
people to have an almost natural tendency to feel that way, but coincidences do happen also
the vibration may have nothing to do with the timing chain replacement
on the other hand............

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”