transmission repair, then exhaust leak?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

glockshooter

transmission repair, then exhaust leak?

Postby glockshooter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 am

Seems like ever since I got the pathfinder back with the new transmission, I've heard an exhaust leak. I can't see anything obvious, definitely not the muffler. Does anyone know if the exhaust gets separated or anything when you drop the transmission? I'd hate to take it to the dealer and either pay though the nose for a cheap pipe, or pay someone else for something the dealer did. Any ideas?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:48 am

Would make sense that they'd have to crack the exhaust to drop the trans. I'd get it checked. They shouldn't charge you to check for a workmanship error.

T

PC05

Postby PC05 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Exact same thing happened to our pathy, took it back to dealer, put it in the air ran it at different throttle positions and you could hear a low grumbling at certain RPM's but no tech could ever find anything loose or any holes anywhere. After about 2000 miles it has gotten better. Nobody can explain it, other than "new tranny mated to 7 yr old vehicle it is going to make some noises", this is what one of the techs said. :roll:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:20 am

PC05 wrote:Exact same thing happened to our pathy, took it back to dealer, put it in the air ran it at different throttle positions and you could hear a low grumbling at certain RPM's but no tech could ever find anything loose or any holes anywhere. After about 2000 miles it has gotten better. Nobody can explain it, other than "new tranny mated to 7 yr old vehicle it is going to make some noises", this is what one of the techs said. :roll:
This makes sense, sometimes it takes a while for exhaust seals to seat properly. There is a lot of movement in the exhaust system.

t

knighttony13

Re: transmission repair, then exhaust leak?

Postby knighttony13 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 am

glockshooter wrote:Seems like ever since I got the pathfinder back with the new transmission, I've heard an exhaust leak. I can't see anything obvious, definitely not the muffler. Does anyone know if the exhaust gets separated or anything when you drop the transmission? I'd hate to take it to the dealer and either pay though the nose for a cheap pipe, or pay someone else for something the dealer did. Any ideas?
man, paying the dealer is not fair in this situation. i have experienced this too on my car and i refused to take it to some expert so i tried it out myself. im not quite sure with what i did because i just researched on the internet but i think the problem was solved for now. my exhaust doesn't make weird sounds anymore. lol

tony
Last edited by knighttony13 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glockshooter

Postby glockshooter » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:10 pm

just found this, thought I would give you the update. I had it to a shop that I use for muffler and exhaust work. They found that the tech notched the pipe for whatever reason. Cut in a piece of new pipe, $106 later and I'm good to go. Granted, I shouldn't have had to pay for it, but I wasn't overly impressed with the dealership. Instead of originally finding the transmission problem, they tried to hose me $400+ for front brakes, then they pull this move with the exhaust. Sometimes it's just better to pay for it to be done right.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”